Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University easter holiday lectures.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    Crap. Try telling that to a friend of mine who got Cs in everything and failed all of her A-Levels. And there are schools who say you need at least a B else they won't let you on the course.

I'm talking about the 5 A*-C's. And I never said that passing your GCSE's will mean you will pass your A levels.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As most other people here have said, it depends on what the subject matter is.

If it is purely academic and oriented towards your degree (i.e. more in-depth lectures about chemistry) then it is totally unfair that it is women only. That's discrimination.

If, on the other hand, it's lectures with a topic matter oriented towards women's issue (how to get a job in a male dominated workplace, how to deal with sexual harrassment etc), then I think it's fair enough being women only.

As a previous poster mentioned, if I went to an impotence class, I don't think I'd be entirely comfortable talking about it in front of other men, never mind other women. Similarly, there are issues and topics which deserve to be contained within a female only environment, since they can be difficult things to talk about when men are there.