Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm making some bread later today (as the yeast needs using up), well rolls actually, and haven't made bread in years. I'm making sesame and poppy seed rolls. It's 'fast action' yeast so only needs one proving and doesn't need knocking back. Question is, should i put the seeds on before proving or after ? And is it a salt water wash that'll make the tops go crispy ? Ta muchly :)

Comments

• Options
    I'd put the seeds on before.

I've not heard of a salt water wash for a crispy crust before, although it might work because what makes bread crusty is steam. Commercial bakers have special ovens that inject it right into the oven. The ways I know of doing it at home are to spray the inside of the oven liberally with a spray bottle just as you put the bread in and to do it every 2 minutes for the first ten minutes, or to throw a handful of of icecubes on the bottom of the oven.
  • Options
    Done now. Put the seeds on before proving and salt water wash. I'll let you know how they turned out, though the yeast was a tad out of date :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    the yeast was a tad out of date :)

Ooh, that might not be so good. I find it doesn't work too fantastically when it gets near the date.
  • Options
    Well i used a little less flour, 1lb instead of 1lb 7oz. Made sure everything was warm, bowl, hands and flour before i started and put in a bit of sugar too to give it a kick start. I'm just about to take them out of the grill (the ovens underneath so makes a good proving spot) and see what they're like.
  • Options
    Not brilliant, but not too bad either.