Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pleaaasse can one of you clever people help me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:)

Basically, my laptop has decided it doesn't want to connect to our wireless internet anymore. It works fine when I plug the cable into the computer, so I originally thought it might of been a problem with the wireless router. But, the computer I'm using now gets the internet wirelessly, and this is working fine.

I have used every godamn troubleshooter windows has offered me and I can't figure out whats up. Right now it's telling me the network did not assign a network address to the computer, but before there was a problem with having an Invalid IP address.

:crying: Can someone please fix my computer? I need to get my work finished!

ETA: Argh now it's telling me it can't renew my IP address. It could be talking Japanese for all I know :(

Comments

• Options
    Got msn? I could talk you through it
  • Options
    Yep, have PMed you :)
  • Options
    U don't happen to have a wireless button that you have accidentally turnt off do you? I keep doing that.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    U don't happen to have a wireless button that you have accidentally turnt off do you? I keep doing that.

No, I have to press it to get the wireless on everytime I switch it on anyway (which drives me barmy as it is)
  • Options
    sounds like a conflict, router tryin to assign the same address to two machines.. try it with no other computers connected to the network (turn them off) .. if it works with the other computers turned off then the easiest thing would probably be to manually set the ip address..

if it doesnt work then reseting tcp/ip settings might work.. to do this go to start, click on run, then type in 'cmd' .. then in the command prompt type in
    'netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt' then restart your computer, and see if it connects

:thumb:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »

if it doesnt work then reseting tcp/ip settings might work.. to do this go to start, click on run, then type in 'cmd' .. then in the command prompt type in
    'netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt' then restart your computer, and see if it connects

"CMD is not a valid Win32 application"

Maybe I'm not typing it right...

Haven't tried the other yet because turning this computer off means it's unlikely to turn back on (which buggers all my chances of getting the other fixed) and I wouldn't know where to start with manually setting the IP address (although something tells me I've tried that)
  • Options
    ok type 'command' instead..

as for not wantin to turn that one off.. you could go into network connections (in control panel) and disable the connection
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not typing it right...

Have you got it all sorted yet Nikki?

I've said before and i'll say again and again, for something that is should be so straight forward and easy to set up, wireless networks aint half a pain in the arse.

I've only had one set up first time without any problems, all the others have took several attempts and in the end worked by me doing the very same thing i did to start with that didn't work, i hate them!!
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Have you got it all sorted yet Nikki?

Have I heck. I'm gonna smash it up I think :) Unfortunetly, no time to play now :(