Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legal question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To cut a long story short

My Grandad fell ill

My uncle moved into his house with him and got Power of Auttorney

He bought the house in his own name with my grandad's money

My uncle died then my grandad died

My dad, I thought, would inherit everything because he is the only one left but my uncle was married and then was divorced. He had a stepdaughter.

Now that we're sorting stuff out the lawyer said that since my uncle didn't leave a will they have to "post on the walls of court" or something.

Is this just procedure? We've been wondering for a while about my uncle's "stepdaughter" being entitled to anything since she hasn't had anything to do with the family for years and obv isn't related to us. She already got a car (which we thought was fair since it was brand new and was bought for my uncle by my grandad and was supposed to be paying him back)

Comments

• Options
    You need to prove that it was granbdad's money but generally I'd asy that your Dad is your Uncle's next of kin and so should inherit anything left after dues.
  • Options
    We know it wasn't him money because he was spending hundreds of pounds at a time when he didn't have a job and nowhere near that income and at the same time my grandad's accounts were losing money, some £3,000 at a time.

There's nothing left of the money anyway, by the time my uncle died my grandad only had about £2,000 left. Only the house if left.

My grandad also had an account in my name which he put money into for me and that was closed. So I personally lost about £3,000.
  • Options
    Feel free to ask any legal question to askTheSite You'll get an answer within 3 working days.