Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sleep cycle is messed up...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
And has been for years now. Whenever I get to the late at night hours I feel like staying up and doing stuff, then when it's time to get up, the bed is suddenly a lot more comfortable. When I'm at home I spend most of my time asleep in the bed because there is nothing else to do, no one to talk to or no reason to go out. I think maybe the problem is apathy. All consuming, ever-present, incurable, apathy. When it's time to get up and go to college I'm too tired. When I get back home and after I've eaten it's straight back to the bed, then when it gets late, I don't feel like sleeping anymore because I've had my quota of sleep for the day, that's what messes up the cycle. I been trying to turn this around, for longer than I can remember, to no avail.

Comments

• Options
    dont lie in or nap.
  • Options
    Im a bit like that..I stay up til early hours of morning, then when i have to get up for uni im cemented to my bed. For me this is probably because my body clock has been like it for years, which doesnt help when i dnt have to be in til 10am most mornings.
    The only time i really got out of this routine was when working 7am-6pm at a childrens activity day camp last summer! completely tired me out!!

So you sleep late afternoon/early evening time?is there anyway you could go out and do something active during this time? then when you get home youll be knackered and ready for bed at nighttime...?
  • Options
    When you feel tired in the afternoon drink some coffee or something, stay awake until nighttime somehow and then go to bed.

I know it'll be hard trying to change your sleep pattern after years but try it at least.
  • Options
    You need to stop going to bed when you're bored, instead wait and go to bed at a reasonable bedtime.

It sounds like you've got a lot of time on your hands, how about finding something to do with it? Anything from going for a run, spending more time preparing meals and then cooking something more interesting, become a volunteer doing something...

That way you'll have been more active through the day so are more likely to sleep well at night and you won't have been asleep in the day time.
  • Options
    im terrible with sleeping .. best thing is to keep yourself occupied during the evening with something

or do and all nighter one night, force yourself to sit up through the next day then sleep earlyish the next night, knocks your sleeping pattern back into shape.. i have to do it every couple of weeks ffs but it helps if you can sit through it!
  • Options
    try and get up at the same time every day. (maybe an hour later at weekends).

avoid naps.

might take a few weeks to get used to it tho.
  • Options
    You need to stop going to bed when you're bored, instead wait and go to bed at a reasonable bedtime.

If I did that, I probably wouldn't et to bed past 12am...

I'm in the same situation. It's fair enough saying get up when you ake up, but I probably would end up getting up at 4am. (no really - I'm always awake around this time)
  • Options
    I wouldn't call 12 am a reasonable bed time.

What I meant is stop going to bed during the day/early evening just because you're bored.
  • Options
    have a read: sleep disorders

anything sound familiar? try to get a big wawdge of sunlight in the morning and go to bed at the same time every night, don't nap in the day and get up everymorning. easier than it sounds though. Your doc might be sympathetic, then again, they might not- I had one tell me to 'set my alarm' and other useless patronising shite...