Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bad head.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,
I've been feeling really run down recently, and for the past few days I've had a really bad problem with my head. Its not a headache, rather a dull achey pain on the left side. The only way i can really describe the pain is that similar to period pains, or pains you get in your kidneys when you've drank too much. Really achey, yet painful at the same time.

Anybody have any idea what it could be? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Exhaustion?

More sleep and more water may help, but if there's no obvious reason and it's not like a pain you've had before and it doesn't go away with a bit of tlc you should get it checked.
  • Options
    I had something similar and it lasted for ages but then I realises it was down to too much time on the computer. Do you spend long looking at the screen? Try taking a 10 minute break every 30 mins or so.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I had something similar and it lasted for ages but then I realises it was down to too much time on the computer. Do you spend long looking at the screen? Try taking a 10 minute break every 30 mins or so.

What kind of monitor do you have? An LCD or a standard CRT monitor?

All too often I find so many people who use a traditional CRT Computer Monitor and do not know about refresh rates - including some IT programmer on £50 an hour once.

By default a PC's screen is set to 60Hz, this is not enough and there is screen flicker - most people need the rate to be about 70 to 72 Hz to be easier on the eye - currently mine is set to 85 Hz

LCD's (like laptop displays) don't flicker and can be left at 60Hz but CRT's should be set higher then 60Hz to prevent eye strain, headaches, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

How to Change the Screen Refresh Rate of Your Monitor
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

Alternatively, right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click the screen refresh rate that you want to use.
    NOTE:
    ? The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    ? If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    ? Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.

refresh_rates.jpg
  • Options
    It was a CRT one at the time (well still is) but I use my laptop now.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. May go to my gp if it doesn't stop soon. Im such a hypochondriac though, and panic really easy. Probably something silly.

Thanks
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It was a CRT one at the time (well still is) but I use my laptop now.

Well if anyone else is using it - worth checking the refresh rate to ensure they don't get eye strain due to an incorrect PC setting.
  • Options
    Nah no-one else is using it. I only really use it for itunes. It's too slow to do anything else on it.