Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Bush visit: freedom of speech threatened by Blair

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On a separate issue, relating to the thread, does the fact that a protest will take place in Whitehall on Thursday make any difference to the theme of this thread.

The protest will be given huge publicity (on this side of the pond) meaning that the message will be getting out. Isn;t that what the protestors want? Therefore is their "freedom of speach" actually being erroded?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Will you be in a habit and wearing boxing gloves? :D

Well now you come to mention it ;)
  • Options
    MoK, I suspect that the intent of the thread title is to emphasise that in the US where such world opposition to the mess Bush and (more rightly) his cabinet and ancillary advisors are making of US foreign policy, the protests will be largely censored or at the very least glossed over with little effort to truly inform the public. This being the case in the supposed "bastion of democracy" where "free speech" and "free press" are claimed to be Constitutionally upheld.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    MoK, I suspect that the intent of the thread title is to emphasise that in the US where such world opposition to the mess Bush and (more rightly) his cabinet and ancillary advisors are making of US foreign policy, the protests will be largely censored or at the very least glossed over with little effort to truly inform the public. This being the case in the supposed "bastion of democracy" where "free speech" and "free press" are claimed to be Constitutionally upheld.

But that isn't Blair's fault, is it? I know he likes to think that he is Master of the World, but...

I agree with you on the rest. If the US Citizens saw and understood what the World sees then perhaps they wouldn't be some enamoured with Bush. However, I cannot see how this weeks events will change that unless the media interests in the US give the protest due coverage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    david and i are thinking of paying a visit as well :D

depends how full the buses are.

Well if im there I will look out for you both :D
  • Options
    No, you're right that it's not Bliar's fault, but at the same time, you have to admit that what we're seeing of his recent public announcements about the visit seem to fully condone and seek to excuse what even he should be well aware is yet another PR exercise for media attention that avoids the issues that should be at the center of any true and informed "free and democratic" society.

Insofar as he undoubtedly does know and yet panders to it and seeks to insulate Bush from having to confront the public repercussions of this current global agenda, it merely makes him equally as culpable in the charade as the media itself.
  • Options
    He's here.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

With a bit of luck some sniper will be able to get close enough to take both of those murdering bastards out. Permanently.

I was going to post something along the lines of "Back your mouth with your life, and take your best shot"...

And then I remembered that YOU HAVE NO FIREARMS, BECAUSE YOU JOYFULLY GAVE THEM UP! :lol:

Therefore, you can wank away all you want, without recourse, and GWB need not take you any more seriously than your own government does! :lol:

You have joyfully made yourselves impotent! :lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    I was going to post something along the lines of "Back your mouth with your life, and take your best shot"...

And then I remembered that YOU HAVE NO FIREARMS, BECAUSE YOU JOYFULLY GAVE THEM UP! :lol:

Therefore, you can wank away all you want, without recourse, and GWB need not take you any more seriously than your own government does! :lol:

You have joyfully made yourselves impotent! :lol:

Oh no, I wish we all had guns and Washington Snippers:rolleyes:
  • Options
    got to see fox news last night and the spin put on the coming protests aginst bush was laughable. they were saying a lot of people hated bush becuase of his accent and its well known that the english have never liked texans. lots more drivel like this which i can't remember now but the american people are being prepared for the british protests against their great leader in a very strange manner. will americans actualy believe crap like this?
  • Options
    Those who have such challenged mental capcities as to consider Fox an actual viable news source certainly will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Those who have such challenged mental capcities as to consider Fox an actual viable news source certainly will.

And to those that believe that the collaborator has a viable perspective upon ANYTHING, I have some exclusive beachfront property in Iowa which I will make a "special deal" for you...
  • Options
    LOL. you and Rush Limbaugh were made for each other. Neither one has any concept of the fundamental betrayal of our nation's founding princples of liberty and justice by those you unquestionably suck up to and neither have you any legitimate response to those who care enough about the future of our nation at home and abroad to even bother attempting to maintain the public debate, other than repeated ad hominem attacks and slanderous vitriole.

Thank heavens such neo-cons as yourself remain an insular and narcissistic minority within the American political psyche.

in 1 year or 5 (god forbid) the electorate will have tired of the wholesale plundering of our Consititution, our domestic economy and our international integrity and will sweep you all back under the rocks from whence your shortsighted perspectives emerged.
  • Options
    These protests really piss me off. While anti-war/Bush protesters are trying to get their pointless views across there was Brits getting blown up in Turkey. How about they start shouting stop Bin Laden instead of stop Bush? Maybe they think once you stop Bush from doing what his doing terrorism will stop? If someone came into your house and murdered your family because they didn't like you would you just let it go?

World peace won't come from stopping Bush/Blair.. it will stop when you get rid of people who purposely murder Innocent men, women and children. Open up your eyes and see who the real terrorist is. These protests just show how ignorant people can be.

Bush & Blair fight fair.
  • Options
    ok so this visit has cost a small fortune. Peoples everyday life have been messed about with. People have not even been able to get into their car and drive through their own village and this was all day.
    To top it all my hubby was in the area and there was an ambulance who had his blue lights flashing, the police even stopped him and searched him and the ambulance itself for security reasons. Inside the ambulance was a poorly baby and yet the ambulance was held up for about 4 mins whilst they checked it out. That 4 mins could have meant life or death, so what i want to know is how people feel about this type of thing happening. Do you think its right that people have their lives messed about because Tony Blair wants to entertain at his home. If people in high profile jobs want to have things of this nature happening again should they arrange the visit and basically not close as many roads as they did and not do the tour of Sedgefield like they have just done.
    I know for security reasons the ambulance and paramedic had to be searched but in an emergency even seconds can count and if this child was in a life/death situation then it may not have survived.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    These protests really piss me off. While anti-war/Bush protesters are trying to get their pointless views across there was Brits getting blown up in Turkey. How about they start shouting stop Bin Laden instead of stop Bush?

So because some people don't like Bush for one reason or another, they're suddeny pro-terrorism? Has America even found Bin Laden? No they haven't. And protests won't even help about Bin Laden because he's probably in the middle east somewhere (or working in an amusement arcade in Rhyl), these people have something to say and a right to protest ... whether their concerns are about globalisation, the environment, those American camps where they torture people or the illegal war.

And their views are not pointless. I suppose people thought that the views of the suffragettes were pointless, that Ghandi had nothing to share but in the end their hard work paid off. maybe you should respect what people have to say, even if it differs from your (and the Sun's) opinion. These people are standing up for what they believe and my dear... that takes guts.

Maybe they think once you stop Bush from doing what his doing terrorism will stop? If someone came into your house and murdered your family because they didn't like you would you just let it go?

It's not simply a case of not liking somebody, there's a lot of religion and politics involved. Maybe you should write to the American and British governments to ask them to stop selling these weapons to these terrorists. A hunter needs a gun after all. Or even better, if you feel so strongly then join the army.
    World peace won't come from stopping Bush/Blair.. it will stop when you get rid of people who purposely murder Innocent men, women and children. Open up your eyes and see who the real terrorist is. These protests just show how ignorant people can be.

Bush & Blair fight fair.

Ignorant? In the last post you just pretty much quoted everything papers like the Sun and the Star would put. Would you honestly put your faith in the media? I wouldn't, but then I'm a social scientist... or I will be after uni :p maybe too much of a cynic. Yes I went on that demo and I'm proud of the fact I did. And I could argue all day about people's reasons for doing it if somebody puts forward a worthy enough arguement (as will most anti-Bush people). We're not all overly pompus about the fact that we don't support him, but we're certainly not stupid or ignorant, so please, don't try and belittle any of us with the same old arguements that second rate newspapers for semi-literate people put across.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Damocles
    These protests really piss me off. While anti-war/Bush protesters are trying to get their pointless views across there was Brits getting blown up in Turkey. How about they start shouting stop Bin Laden instead of stop Bush? Maybe they think once you stop Bush from doing what his doing terrorism will stop? If someone came into your house and murdered your family because they didn't like you would you just let it go?

And how is bombing Iraq tackling terrorism? :confused:
  • Options
    Beating Around The Bush...

George Bush is invited to a primary school to talk about the war. After his talk he offers question time. One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him what his name is.

"Billy".
    "And what is your question, Billy?"
    "I have 3 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? And third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Just then the bell rings for breaktime. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after breaktime . When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh that's right - question time. Who has a question?"

A different little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him what his name is.
    "Steve"
    "And what is your question, Steve?"
    "I have 5 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why did the breaktime bell go 20 minutes early? And fifth, what happened to Billy?"