Home Student Life & Education
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

freshers flu

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else come down with Freshers flu yet? Or just me? :(

Have only been back at uni 4 days and already my throat is killing and my nose is running and I can't stop coughing.

And I haven't even drunk any alcohol yet damnit!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have :crying:.

My head feels like someonesblowing a balloon up inside it. Ditto sinuses. And I got thorugh about a zillion tissues in my lectures this morning.

But that said I have had lots of alcohol to ease the pain. Last night I was starting to come down with it, but it was my friends birthday so I went out "for one or two". So i then stumbled back about half two, with a nine am lecture this morning.

Having a night in to try and shake it off, in time for the geology pub crawl tomorrow ;)
    I had actual flu...not just freshers flu...bugger. Had to stop in all weekend with a silly temperature and was so weak I had to crawl to the toilet. Now I seem to just have freshers flu though thankfully...but it's going slowly...I think.
    Last year I didn't get freshers' flu, but I definitely got freshers' sniffle!
    I've had a really sore throat and bad headaches for a couple of days...

I'm feeling a lot better now but all my flatmates have got colds so I'm trying to stay locked in my room...
    Ive had the sniffles, thought I was gonna get a get but managed to keep it at bay, thankfully :D
    Yep, think I have it, seems to be getting better now thankfully. Everyone seems to be dropping like flies now we've actually got to start going to lectures and working again.
    yes.

:|

*coughs up a lung*
    yup, I've definitely got it now. runny nose, sore throat, headache, aching muscles, the works. Not much fun. I hate being ill at the best of times but being away from home seems to just make it all feel even worse :(
    My dad commented to me today that I've had a cold for about a month. I hadn't thought about it, but he's right.

First was a fresher's cold. Not flu, but it was definately related to starting college and being around so many people again. I got rid of that, then straight away caught another cold off a girl in my English class. Then I got rid of that, and got a cold off a guy at work. Then I just got rid of that, and had a couple of cold-free days. Then I went to Russian on Thursday, where my teacher said 'I've got a really bad cold, so I hope none of you catch it..' Guess what happened. :|

*sneezes*

:(
    yep ive had a cough, cold, vomity thing for nearly a month now

bleaurgh!
    KoolCat, would you PM me the next time you are on please? I need to show you an essay I wrote.

(Don't worry it isn't French :D )
    I think I just got Freshers Flu after 2 weeks. My head feels fuked, my neck is messed up and stiff! (And it's not menigitus thingy jiggy B4 you ask).

Damn illneses

Bopz
    well sore throat developed into a tickly nose, and now I can't stop sneezing :(

Don't you hate though, when you can feel a sneeze coming on and you stand there looking like an idiot for about 30 seconds waiting to sneeze and then it doesn't happen!

But on the up-side, I am going out to get absolutely wankered tonight! Freshers week is over!! I can finally have a drink! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
    Freshers week is over!! I can finally have a drink!

Confusing, most people drink more during freshers week.....

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Confusing, most people drink more during freshers week.....

Bopz

yeah, i know! I was a freshers helper though, and wasn't allowed to drink and be a helper at the same time. Funnily though, I still had an amazing freshers week with no alcohol and without being a fresher!
    yep ive had freshers flu since sunday, and foolishly perhaps i tried the kill or cure method on monday night with cocktails, it killed

to make it worse its spread and i now have a gum infection, and ive never known pain like it, got about an hours sleep last night
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    yeah, i know! I was a freshers helper though, and wasn't allowed to drink and be a helper at the same time. Funnily though, I still had an amazing freshers week with no alcohol and without being a fresher!

That's just completely wrong! Not being allowed to drink when you're a freshers' helper - what is the world coming to?
    I'm starting to get a cough from all the shouting at big groups of freshers to follow me, and don't think the smoky pubs are helping ... although it did help at a singing audition yesterday - never sung that low before!
    I thought I had freshers 'flu with a really bad sore throat. Turned out to be laryngitis. All better now though, except I seem to have picked up a really annoying cough from somewhere.
    Do you still get fresher's flu even if youve had the flu jab?
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Do you still get fresher's flu even if youve had the flu jab?

freshers flu round here seems to now be a generic term for any kind of crappiness you feel at the start of term. but when everyone you know seems to be ill at the same time and there's all these bugs going about, that's freshers flu!
    freshers flu round here seems to now be a generic term for any kind of crappiness you feel at the start of term. but when everyone you know seems to be ill at the same time and there's all these bugs going about, that's freshers flu!
    It's usually caused by lots of people (and therefore germs) being in close proximity, and lots of late nights causing the lethargicness

Thats how we use it as well.

Im now on my second bout, this one being more a cough/throught infection. Ive just about lost my voice as well :mad: