Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Morality questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MoK meant that its not a matter of whether killing someone in self defence should be legal, it is legal, or in the very least justifiable under the law.
  • Options
    I know self-defence isn't murder. Sorry my brain is just frazzled by revision.

I was just wondering in what cirumstances monocrat though murder was justified...(well killing another person then).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    MoK meant that its not a matter of whether killing someone in self defence should be legal, it is legal, or in the very least justifiable under the law.

Indeed. Reasonable force is the defining line. If you use reasonable force then you can legally kill in self defence...
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

I was just wondering in what cirumstances monocrat though murder was justified...(well killing another person then).

I don't believe murder is ever justified.

That doesn't mean all forms of homicide are wrong though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    I'm not 'off my trolley'. :):lol:

I'm simply asking a question pertaining to moral philosophy.

Murder and rape must be considered unethical for a reason.
    Murder is considered unethical by definition. If it was legal, it wouldn't be murder. Ditto rape. It didn't used to be possible for a husband to be charged with raping his wife because by definition, she wasn't supposed to withhold consent to sex.

On the larger issue, we have a judicial system because society would be unable to function otherwise. It's a social issue first and a moral issue second. We agree to have our freedom restricted in some ways in return for peace of mind. Not everyone agrees that people need to be regulated in this way. Some think that humans are innately good, and will behave responsibly without the threat of fines/incarceration/involuntary removal of goatee beards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    and what about rape monocrat?

Rape violates the rights of a person. For that reason alone it should be legal.
  • Options
    Rape violates the rights of a person. For that reason alone it should be legal

There you go again. Are your nonsequitors simply a result of overlooking an intended il before the word legal? Or are you genuinely confused as to what you believe? :eek2:
  • Options
    While sitting here reading this post all i can think is what the fuck is wrong with you monocrat?

Rape and murder should be ILLEGAL and should always remain illegal, if u rape or murder a person you are doing something against that persons will and is wrong,very very wrong..Could u imagine the consquences if rape or murder was made legal..everyone would be raping others who they find attractive and everyone would be killing one another,well not everyone.

Rape and murder destroys your basic human rights and it should NEVER NEVER be made legal. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    There you go again. Are your nonsequitors simply a result of overlooking an intended il before the word legal? Or are you genuinely confused as to what you believe? :eek2:

It was a typo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    It was a typo.
    a typo that you seem to keep repeating. i think it was an intentional wind up!
    without law we would have little or no order. we are very clever and powerful creatures. far removed from the rest of the animal kingdom in our cleverness and power and cunning and greed etc.
    imagine a creature that powerfull without rules! we would not be able to build. we would only destroy.
    on a very basic and simple level imagine having no traffic laws. drive on any side of the road you like, as fast as you like. no traffic lights and stuff. would you go out on those roads? you'd have to be mad to do so ...and there lies your answer.