Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

prozak and E

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Some of my friends have decided that they want to discover the wonderful world of ecstasy, but one of them is currently on prozak, to counter some quite evere depression. Does anyone here know whether it might not be a good idea to take ecstasy whilst on prozak? I know they both work y altering the levels of serotonin released, so I thought there might be some kind of bad reaction, or maybe the prozak not actually working as a result of it. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know. But I would imagine the comedown from taking pills would be much worse if I was depressed already...

perhaps not such a good idea?
  • Options
    All antidepressants such as Prozac or Seroxat (now the most widely prescribed psychoactive drugs) increase neural transmission in neurons that use serotonin as a neurotransmitter by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin.... In other words, once taken, the Prozac will counteract the amount of serotonin in the brain that the MDMA produces. Thus the effects of the MDMA will lessen than if taken without the Prozac and, depending on the dosage of Prozac prescribed, it could even render the MDMA useless. For more info on this I have found you a little article at :-

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_info9.shtml.

Hope that clears up a few things. Bear in mind though that if your friend is severely depressed, the combination of NOT taking the Prozac and the increased serotonin levels caused by the MDMA could indeed make their depression worse...
  • Options
    Prozac also magnifies the effect of drugs, it's not a good idea, trust me.
  • Options
    Prozac is a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor) class drug.
    You will have no chance what-so-ever to roll while on any SSRI's.
    MDMA works by "tricking" the SERT's (Serotonin Transporters) to run backwards and actually pump serotonin into the synapse, where it then binds to a serotonin receptor and causes the neuron to fire.
    Now, Prozac (and all SSRI's) work by occupying the SERT in order to keep as much serotonin in the synapse as possible.
    The purpose of a SERT (when not on drugs) is to make sure there isn't too much serotonin in the synapse, so when the serotonin has binded to a receptor (and causing the neuron to fire) it will detach itself and then be transfered out of the synapse through the SERT and will then either make it back into the vesicle (where it came from) or destroyed by a chemical in the brain called MAO. (Mono Amine Oxidant).

So don't waste your money on extacy pills while on Prozac.
  • Options
    Besides .. people who need SSRI's should most definitely not be rolling.
  • Options
    i was on anti depressants for quite some time, and snorting coke also... put it like this, i dont know what its like with E, but its not good when your cocain is wearing off. Coke makes you paranoid as it is, but when you're depressed its not good stuff. I wouldt advise taking anything to tell you the truth whilst you're on prozac, or any kind of medication.
  • Options
    Cocaine stimulates the CNR and inhibits the reuptake of dopamine.
    Extacy however stimulates the body to release excess amounts of serotonin.
    Two different puppies :)
  • Options
    Everything I've heard just basicaly says that if your taking SSRI's then the MDMA will do next to nothing. You'd have to have at least a 2 week gap before it would work.
    As others have said if they have been given a script for prozac then they probally shouldnt be using pills anyway.

I have heard some talk that prozac after taking pills can help with the neurotoxicity, however I'm not sure if its really based on evidence.
  • Options
    Right, thanks for the advise, I shall advise her against.