Home Student Life & Education
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam & Subject Help/Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am hoping that in the coming months this thread will take off. If you have any exam worries you can ask here for some help.

If you are having problems with certain topics or subject, post here and we'll see if people can help you out.

It would also be useful if people posted some tips for exam revision, and indicated the subjects they would be able to help people with.

(Naturally we don't all have unlimited knowledge of any sujects we claim to be 'good at' but we will try our best!)

I'll get the ball rolling:

I would be able to help GCSE level students with subjects like history, english literature, business studies, R.E. and food technology.
A-level wise I would be able to offer help and advice with economics, history, english literature and general studies.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee's right; there's a wealth of experience on thesite just waiting to be tapped in to. Brilliant idea, BumbleBee.

For what it's worth, I'm okay on general knowledge, have an appreciation of history/economics/politics/maths/physics, and would consider myself pretty good at Geography.

Colouring pencils ready, kiddies?

Who's up next?
    I think I said in the other thread similar to this, but I can help with Computing stuff and Science stuff.
    well, i got my first 2 GCSE double science marks back the other day. 1 mark off A* in each. but the mocks were unrealistic. in fact EVERYONE in our class did better in their mocks than in the actual exam. it wasnt stress for me, i cant speak for other people, but it just annoys me. i got A* in my mocks so thought i was fine, then there were 2 questions which we hadnt even been told about, we were expected to revise it from previous years! grrrr.

i have no specific questions, but i was wondering how people up their marks? i mean, other than revision, which i do, but i dont learn anything i didnt already learn. the questions that catch me out are the ones where its the same but showed in a different way. like there was a table and it had "mass dissolved in one hour" and the question was which one dissolves the fastest and i just pout the smallest one. darn.
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    well, i got my first 2 GCSE double science marks back the other day. 1 mark off A* in each. but the mocks were unrealistic. in fact EVERYONE in our class did better in their mocks than in the actual exam. it wasnt stress for me, i cant speak for other people, but it just annoys me. i got A* in my mocks so thought i was fine, then there were 2 questions which we hadnt even been told about, we were expected to revise it from previous years! grrrr.

i have no specific questions, but i was wondering how people up their marks? i mean, other than revision, which i do, but i dont learn anything i didnt already learn. the questions that catch me out are the ones where its the same but showed in a different way. like there was a table and it had "mass dissolved in one hour" and the question was which one dissolves the fastest and i just pout the smallest one. darn.
    I think that would be called reading the question........

Your right I supose were always under more pressure at exam time and make REALLY stupid mistakes. My mate who had her maths module today is like the most clever girl.....but she managed to do a histogram completely wrong! the poor soul. I guess you should never think 'gosh i know how to do this' or get to over optimitsic cos fate is evil! grrrrrr
    as surprising as this may seem, i have a knack for poli-sci and economics:o i guess i could help with that, but *nothing* about your school system, if i see that ghpks-whatever tests thingies, i just get totally confused. like what shy boy wrote, i couldn't understand a thing. so really i guess i won't be much help at all.
    ShyBoy

A lot of your threads show that you are quite worried in general about doing well. You also make a great point of telling people your grades, which could make those less able that you feel a bit inferior, just something for you to watch out for in the future.

The only way to up your grades is to work hard and revise. Doing lots of past papers really will help you, particularly in the science subjects, as the same questions are asked year after yesr but in a different way.

You must also accept that you cannot revise every topic you have covered. For some subjects this means you can pick a handful of the key topics and make sure you know them in depth. That is my advice anyway.
    Does anyone have any revision tips they would like to contribute?
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Does anyone have any revision tips they would like to contribute?

Gah. Never really understood the concept of revision tips... I mean teachers and the like always tell you that you should organise you're time more and decide exactly when and where and for how long your revision should take place - what's the point, how can you revise to a timetable? Sometimes you're in the mood for concentrating and working, and others your ont. There's no point forcing yourself to try and revise if you don't feel like it at the time, you'll just get disheartened and feel less able to revise another time.

I guess it would be best to make a list of facts you definitely need to know for the exam and make sure you've learnt all of those first before concentrating on anything else, but thats just common sense really. Just try your hardest and try to do a quick bit of revision when you can, and not at any specific times.
    Tips

Well I'm willing to help out with any questions that people may have. I did Geography, Economics and Sport Studies ( lots of biology in there) so I could help in those areas. :)

REVISION

Well as it happens I'm revising for exams at uni and should be doing it right at this moment LOL!

I wouldn't regard myself intelligent but I did well in my GCSE's and very well in A-levels. I got better than expected grades and I put this down to my revising.

Everyone's different but here's what I generally do.

I may sound like a swot but you have to start early. For example for my A-levels I started around Easter time! Now I know things have changed to AS so they are generally modular.

However the same principle apply.

Firstly read through your notes a couple of times just to get a feel for it. After all it could be over 4 months ago since you were actually taugh it (2 years in the old A-level system!)

Secondly, make your own notes. Convert your notes from class into CONSISE bullet points. Use a highlighter pen to emphasise important points. Now I know your thinking " How can I do an essay just by revising bullet points?"

Well it's easy, you learn the 6 or so bullet points and from these points you build upon on them in your own words.

Thirdly, devise a revision timetable and try to stick with it. Don't be over ambitious though and plan to do 6 hours a day because that simply won't happen and it's unproductive.

Personally I always revised better in the morning. I'd plan to do a couple of hours in the morning and then a total of couple of hours in the afternoon/evening.

Do your revising in small 30 minutes chunks and then have a break for 20 mins of so. I found if you try to revise more than 45 mins, you start to get bored, distracted and your not really learning so it's a waste of time.

I tried to plan it so I knew all of my material that was in the exam about a week before the exam..... why do you ask?

Well, in this final week try to answer as many past papers/specimen questions or devise your own. You may not be revising in the traditional sense of having your nose in a book but this is very constructive.

There's no point learning all the material if you can't answer a question PROPERLY. The more you do, the better chance you'll do better in the real exam.

HOWEVER, don't look at past papers and try to find a pattern such as " Oh... they asked about the formation of glaciers in 95, 97, 99, 01, so it will surely be on the 03 exam" That's bollocks, there isn't a pattern but many questions appear time and time again but are just worded differently.

I hope some people find my waffle helpful LOL :)

Also, don't believe what people say at school/college/uni. People always say leading up to an exam " I've hardly done any revision at all, gunna leave it or can't be arsed"... ignore them. They are just trying to act cool, but in reality they probably have done lots but don't want to come over as a swot! LOL! :)

Anyway, I'd better get back to mine!
    Like Punto said, don't listen to the people who tell you they haven't done any revision. If they haven't done any revision then they aren't going to get very good marks. Those who say they haven't and still get good marks are liars or very very lucky!

Also, don't listen to the people who tell you they have done loads! They may need to do loads. Work to yor own personal strengths.
    I found using colours and little pictures helped things stick in my head when revising. I'd write certain words in a different colour pen and illustrate them when making my revision notes and it made it really easy to picture/remember the information when it came down to spewing it out in exam conditions. :)

I also found making flowcharts of events and consequences really useful when revising my A Level history.
    Erm I don't know if anyone is gonna look at this thread today, but if they are, and they know anything about A level economics, then they might be able to help me.
    Been given an essay question (100 marks :eek: ) about the EU. But I know barely anything about it. I've looked up a few things on the net, in books etc but it hasn't been that successful, and it all seems a bit complicated!
    Anyway here's the question:

(a) Explain the causes of potential conflict between the Wrold Trade Organisation and regional trading blocs such as the EU.

(b) Assess the likely impact of the enlargement of the EU in 2004 on the economies of the fifteen existing member states, the ten new members and the rest of the world.

I think I am able to do (b), kind of, but it is (a) that I'm the most stuck on.
    Thanks for any help in advance... :)
    Unfortunately I havrn't got time to go in to detail because I don't know what you've been taught.

But for question a)

The WTO wants free trade for all countries ( I think) meaning that there are no tariffs or quota's on all traded goods. However the EU is a customs union meaning that there are NO tariffs/restrictions on trade between members countries but a standard tariff is imposed by members on non members.

For example , if the UK imports a good from France, no tariff will be imposed.

However if the Uk or France want to import a good from say... India, a tariff will be imposed. This therefore is not free trade and the WTO won't like it.

That's basically the main cause I think?

As for question b) I've got a feeling you'll have talk about an increase in trade with the new members but also talk about CAP ( Common agricultural policy)

Hope it helps slightly?
    Pink Soda:

a) Firstly you will want to explain the general purposes of the two organisations with regards to economics, that gives you a framework to explain conflict, you may also want to mention other blocs ie NAFTA.

Given this assessment of aims you can then outline likely conflict points ie the EU aims to increase the prosperity of its member states whilst the WTO aims to promote free-trade which could cause conflict if the reduction of import tariffs were to harm EU industries.

Some real examples and relevant statistics would also help and you could conclude by suggesting how likely in general you think conflicts are given the nature of the organisations.........
    I know no ones written in this topic for a while, but i have a question and thought i may as well make use of the thread since its a sticky...

does anyone know any information about the five daily national french newspapers?
    I think they are:
    § Le Figaro
    § L’Humanité
    § Liberation
    § Le Monde
    § La Tribune Desfossés

but i'm finding it hard to find out anything other than their names. we're meant to answer which one we'd choose to subscribe to.

thanks if anyone can help.
    Hi. I can help with up to A-level biology and gcse level in other sciences, a-level sociology, performing arts, and as much as i hate to admit this very good at general stuidies, not quite sure why must be making up for the lack of general knowlege. lol
    Oh yeh and am doing a degree in environment. il help if i can

:hyper:
    oops that was in the wrong place
    I think Le Monde is quite an upmarket broadsheet type paper, can't be sure though....

I'm sure they have websites and quite probably English translations available.....
    Help please have a huge assignment due in 2moro and can't do it because i can't rearange equations. I couldn't do algebra in school and i now certainly can't do it at uni. If you could explain to me how to do it please. Reply by about 2ish tomorow if your gonna. Ta

The equations that i need to do are ( the word squared in stars *squared* is cos i cant figure out how to do superscript on this damn computer and would usualy be superscript2)

I need the following equations in terms of x ie x=

1) y=3x*squared*+(x+2)(x-2)
    2) xy
    (x + y)
    3) 1nx+1n(xy)*squared*+1ny=0

HELP PLEASE:confused:
    I can help with Law - anything really, from fundamental aspects (judicial interpretation; precedent; legal professions; courts; ADR; etc) to all types of law (criminal; tort; European; constitutional; IP; etc).

If anyone is aspiring to join the Bar, I have a wealth of invaluable information (from two years of research) that might arm you with good competititve advantages. If you're unsure of anything, from what experience to gain and which Inn to join to which set to apply for a mini-pupillage, fire away! :)
    I know this is far too late Mel but question 1:

x = (*square root of*y/4) + 1

I think........
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    I can help with Law - anything really, from fundamental aspects (judicial interpretation; precedent; legal professions; courts; ADR; etc) to all types of law (criminal; tort; European; constitutional; IP; etc).

If anyone is aspiring to join the Bar, I have a wealth of invaluable information (from two years of research) that might arm you with good competititve advantages. If you're unsure of anything, from what experience to gain and which Inn to join to which set to apply for a mini-pupillage, fire away! :)

Are you a solicitor?
    Originally posted by Van The Man
    Are you a solicitor?

I am, like most people that have replied to this thread, merely a student offering to help other students in their understanding of the various aspects of a course. Nothing more, nothing less. Why do I need to be a solicitor to help fellow students? :confused:
    If anyone wants any help with media, english or french I would love to help you. These subjects are the ones i'm least rusty at but I could also help people with any other subject.

Just one thing can people tell me what a sticky is?
    Sticky: A thread that stays at the top of the page, i.e. this thread is always at the top of the Student page. Generally because they are considered important........:)
    Well if anyone wants any help, I did all the usual subjects at GCSE plus, german, french, geography and drama. I also did additional maths, not many people do though. I'm now just about to do AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and general studies. I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions so feel free to post :)
    Help. I've got Eng Lit tomorrow and I'm absolutely rubbish at the poems. Can someone who did it last year explain a few of them to me? Poetry's a subject where if you have a good teacher then you will understand it and if you don't (like i did) then you won't.
    Which poems are you studying?