Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why does Britain need to attack Iraq?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh go away and talk your ignorant and historically incorrect jingoistic flag waving crap elsewhere. Youve now shown yourself as one of my fellow countrymen who give our nation a bad name due to your arrogant self-aggrandising BS.

Hearing such brainwashed revisionism coming from you, it reminds me why I moved to Europe in the first place.

Are your shotgun and pickup truck secure? lol.
  • Options
    Clandestine. No one buys that you're an American when all you do is post anti-American stuff.

anyway, you're fun to fight with.
  • Options
    As if I really could care what nationality people believe I am. My passport doesnt give a damn either frankly. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Clandestine. No one buys that you're an American when all you do is post anti-American stuff.

anyway, you're fun to fight with.

I can't help but notice that you've steadfastly ignored every single point I've made. Perhaps your definition of 'fun' is different to my own?
  • Options
    DJP a quote for you.

From the movie Strange Days.

The question is not whether you are paranoid. The question is whether you are paranoid enough. heee:p
  • Options
    O.k. Dj. Iraq was known to be making the poison that showed up in London this week. also it was tested in northern iraq last summer...so someone gave al qaeda the capability. he's offered money for Palestinians to blow themselves up.

I'm also believing that Tony Blair and Bush know something because this war is not popular or good for them at this point.

As for the bit about America, don't forget who helped colonize the continent.
  • Options
    O.k. Dj. Iraq was known to be making the poison that showed up in London this week. also it was tested in northern iraq last summer...so someone gave al qaeda the capability.

Am I correct in thinking that ricin was used in the Japanese subway attack? Or was that something else?!

Anyhow, we *know* that the Hungarian Foreign Ministry used ricin to kill a Bulgarian diplomat.

Why are we not after Hungary? They've developed it & tested it, and used it?! Why Iraq!?
  • Options
    It's a far jump in assumption to say that since Iraq had been making Ricin it naturally follows that the group in London got it from Iraq. Its made in many countries even in the US.

Likely the group was related to extreme militant Algerian groups, whose complaint and fight are against France. The GIA amongst others, send boys to London for familiarisation with English speaking society and indoctrination and from there to training camps aborad. If any country should be pissed its France. Nevertheless, it has little to do with Bin Laden's branch of Al Quaeda as much as with hate toward French support for the ruling party in Algeria.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Am I correct in thinking that ricin was used in the Japanese subway attack? Or was that something else?!

Anyhow, we *know* that the Hungarian Foreign Ministry used ricin to kill a Bulgarian diplomat.

Why are we not after Hungary? They've developed it & tested it, and used it?! Why Iraq!?

Sarin was used in Tokyo, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Pnj, ricin, thanks to its relative ease of manufacture, became popular during the Cold War and wide-scale production has since taken place in numerous countries around the world; by no means is Iraq the only possible source.

Your whole "I believe Tony and George know something they're not telling us because they wouldn't go into this war otherwise" is nonsense. Bush is an oilman; he looks at Iraq and sees vast quantities of oil ready to exploit it. He sees his companies going in and making a very tidy profit in a post-Saddam Iraq. He also sees it relieving the Alaska question, and thus buying him long-term political capital on the environmental front. There is no doubt that a successful war with Iraq and a compliant regime would benefit him greatly, both personally and as a politician.

One thing we can be certain of is that the new regime in Iraq will not be democratic. To allow democracy would be a disaster for the US; the majority of Iraqis are ethnically linked more to Iranians than the Iraqi elite, and one thing Bush isn't going to allow is a government in Iraq which is sympathetic to a member of the "axis of evil."

If you ask me, the US is best off leaving Iraq well alone. They should learn the lessons of both the Roman and British Empires before them; overstretch will, eventually, lead to failure.
  • Options
    Very execellently voiced Vox, hehe.

But that is only the tip of the iceberg of the entire mess they have made of things and its incredibly interesting putting the trail of deceit and power grabs since the election itself which was never sufficiently examined or publicised. couldnt have that issue lingering too long, nahhh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

WW2, Korea, Kuwait, Yugoslavia.

Interventionism shouldnt be necessary but unfortunately we live in the real world with lots of nasty people.

Interventionism leads to the creation of enemies. Why do you think the UK is a target for terrorists now?
    If we stopped doing what the UN said, using diplomacy and our military force as peacekeepers, in order to 'intervene' then yes, we probably would lose our place on the security council.

Why is this a bad thing? Since Britain is not a superpower, why do we need an extensive foreign policy?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Interventionism leads to the creation of enemies. Why do you think the UK is a target for terrorists now?

Are we are a target for terrorists? Youd have thought theyd have done something by now.

Sometimes the ends justify the means. Stopping genocide would be something that our nation should be willing to make enemies over.

Why is this a bad thing? Since Britain is not a superpower, why do we need an extensive foreign policy?

Id happily have the UK pull out of the UN entirely but we cant do that. Our entire political system is geared toward the UN...I know we arent a superpower :rolleyes: , but we were and that means that we have links and credibility across the world.
  • Options
    You can read this online to get the information I'm posting here. This is from today's NY Post. Article title: "3 men held after UK anti-terror raid.

"Ricin is derived from the castor bean plant and is one of the world's deadliest toxins. It has been linked in the past to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terror network and Iraq. "

Maybe this is why Tony Blair and George Bush are assuming there's an Iraqi connection. The war is not good for either one politically.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Are we are a target for terrorists?

Our chances of being attacked by terrorists must have risen of late

Id happily have the UK pull out of the UN entirely but we cant do that. Our entire political system is geared toward the UN...I know we arent a superpower :rolleyes: , but we were and that means that we have links and credibility across the world.

We don't need the UN and our political system is hardly 'geared' towards membership of such an organisation. The fact that Britain used to possess a large colonial empire means jack. We have not done so for decades. Ideally we should concentrate on our own defence rather than seeking to be a 'force for good' (as Blair said or some such).
  • Options
    Ideally we should concentrate on our own defence rather than seeking to be a 'force for good' (as Blair said or some such).

Assuming, as many do, that America's interventionist foreign policies have led to the dislike of America in some quarters, were we to become isolationist, from what would we need defending?
  • Options
    You can read this online to get the information I'm posting here. This is from today's NY Post. Article title: "3 men held after UK anti-terror raid.

"Ricin is derived from the castor bean plant and is one of the world's deadliest toxins. It has been linked in the past to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terror network and Iraq. "

Maybe this is why Tony Blair and George Bush are assuming there's an Iraqi connection. The war is not good for either one politically.

pnj, who do you think is suggesting to the press there is a "link" between ricin and Iraq?

As it has been pointed out before, every country in the world has the capability of making ricin (and in practice, they have all done so). Furthermore, every last chemistry undergraduate on earth could produce it for themselves; ricin is easy to make and the castor beans readily available to anyone who goes to the woods with a little straw basket to pick them up.

So when do we start bombing the governments of India, Portugal, Senegal, Venezuela, Morocco, Belgium, Thailand, Italy, China, Peru, Brazil, Finland, Greenland...?

Followed by the Universities of Paris, Moscow, Chicago, Oxford, Teheran, Cape Town...

I hope you get my drift...
  • Options
    I'm drifting with ya Alladin. And the NY Post is conservative.
  • Options
    Considering that the British armed forces are overstretched, it's foolhardy to have an extensive foreign policy. The sole purpose of an armed forces is not to deter or defend oneself from terrorists.