Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can you be "too nice"?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a 20 year old university student, and I've never had a girlfriend, which is really upsetting me. I'm naturally pretty shy, but then I know other people who are shy and have no problems finding relationships. In fact, everyone on my corridor is in a relationship at the moment, except for me.

Some girls have said to me that I'm "really nice" and "sweet" but none of them are ever romantically interested in me. They seem to prefer the lads who end up messing them around. I'm very tall but apart from that I'm nothing special looks-wise.

If anyone could offer some advice I'd be really grateful because this is so getting me down.

Comments

• Options
    Hi mate

I'm similar to you, I'm 19 and at uni. A lot of my mates have girlfriends, and I'm having a bit of problems with my ex (it's complicated) Anyway, I havent had a proper girlfriend for 15 months. It's not because I couldn't if I wanted to, it's because I don't need the hassel. I'm not really bothered about it, but I know where your coming from.

It sounds to me like you're just that bit short on self confidence. Believe in yourself a bit more, and things will turn around. It's good that you're making contact with girls, try and talk to them as friends. Having a few female mates helps you get confident talking to girls. You never know, you might end up with one of them.

Second, don't try too hard. When you and your mates are out, chill and concentrate on having a laugh. Don't look nervous, just be yourself. Once you get talking to girls, it gets so much easier.

Remember this : You will get a girlfriend, it just takes time.

Try not to feel too down, you're still young

Best of luck :)
  • Options
    Well I'm quite a bit younger but I've never had a girlfriend either!!
    Even so, the below is still the same for everyone!!

Trust me, if you like someone, you must tell them!! Even if nothing comes of it you will feel better in the long run!!

If you don't really like someone at the moment then just be patient and give it time. There will be someone right for you out there somewhere, it just takes time for you to come together.

The most important thing for you to do is not to let it get you down!! Almost everyone I know is in some kind of relationship with someone else, but I don't care, because I know that sooner or later my time will come as well!!

Keep strong, and don't be scared to share your feelings with someone you can trust. Thay can only help you!!

Good luck!! :)
  • Options
    Re: Can you be "too nice"?
    Originally posted by Matthew82
    I'm a 20 year old university student, and I've never had a girlfriend, which is really upsetting me. I'm naturally pretty shy, but then I know other people who are shy and have no problems finding relationships. In fact, everyone on my corridor is in a relationship at the moment, except for me.

Hi Matt

First off I know exactly how you feel I actually posted a similar topic a few of weeks ago, but the first thing to remeber is there is alot of people in the same situation (as I found out) - Recently my luck changed and I've met someone v.v.special
    Some girls have said to me that I'm "really nice" and "sweet" but none of them are ever romantically interested in me. They seem to prefer the lads who end up messing them around. I'm very tall but apart from that I'm nothing special looks-wise.

Well your obviously doing something right if girls are saying they think your nice and sweet - the only advice I can give you is to be yourself, and dont be fake about anything, you WILL find someone eventually (and probably out of the blue - which is what happ to me, wasnt even expecting it). As the other posters have said try and be a bit more confidence round the women (easier said than done, but can be done :))

Best of luck mate, and chin up!
  • Options
    Are you ugly? Maybe that's what is wrong? :lol:

Only joking, nothing wrong with being shy and nice, however you might want to start being a little more confident in yourself and how you act around people.
    Stay nice, but be a bit more outspoken, that way girls will notice you for being smart, witty, caring as well as nice and sweet.
    Good luck
  • Options
    you can be nice, and sweet, and girls like that. but a lot of the time they wont realise that you are looking for anything more unless you tell them, or just do what i did and hang around with them all the time, and sit next to them all the time. may be a little blunt but she fancied me as well....:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Are you ugly? Maybe that's what is wrong? :lol:

I might be. I'm hardly attractive.

And thanks for your advice ShyBoyInTheCorner. But what if all the girls I like are either out of my league, in a relationship, or just don't like me?
  • Options
    ugliness aint a factor, see, im a minger, and my girlfriend still likes me. look at it this way - u probably wont be succesful with ur first try, theyll probably reject you. happened to me. but i just kept trying and came along to laura. good thing actually all the other girls i liked have turned into drama queen bitches now....

and girls are so confusing they might give the impression they like you and when they confront you they like but just "not in that way"
    and then you might think they hate you but it turns out "i was only acting like that because i like you so much"

it would be nice if everything was written in black and white - but all the different colours make it more fun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Matthew82

I might be. I'm hardly attractive.

And thanks for your advice ShyBoyInTheCorner. But what if all the girls I like are either out of my league, in a relationship, or just don't like me?
    Don't let it all get you down mate.

Looks do play a part, no doubting that, but not as much as you might think!

You only have to see some of these pretty boys (The tarty ones) and lot of girls do go for them, but on the other hand some of those bad boys that a lot of girls go for are ugly fuckers. All they have is the image & style

you need to gain something that make you feel like you stand out (In a good way) and enables you to feel happy and confident about yourself. You seem like a decent bloke so you already have that going for you.

Not sure what type of girl you want, or if you just want any girl? (age and all that)

I personally think you should go for the older women, Your tall so you already have something lot of women like and go for, Plus you are kind and nice guy so it all helps, plus if you go to the right clubs these older women may make the first move (May take the edge of you!)

Or if the thought of a 35-over bird trying to get into your boxers doesn't light your fire, try dating girls that will have something in common with you. Maybe join few groups/clubs or something that you are interested in.

Or go to few Starbucks (Always seem to see nice looking friendly girls in there)
  • Options
    Yes, you can be too nice. 99% of the time, nice guys just get walked all over and used as a doormat. They're often seen as easy, and a pushover, unexciting, weak willed, etc. Why do you think the bad boys seem to do so well? And they don't have to be great looking.
    It's not something I understand fully either.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    How many times have you heard '' but ur too nice?''

My bloke was just like you, didnt have a girlfriend until he was 24 then married the cow! We were talking the other day and he said that, that is all he heard from women that he was too nice, but some women out there do want the shy and nice blokes, just like me, luckly he split with his wife two yrs ago and is seeing me (lucky him lolol) :confused: my advice is take things as they come, and dont jump in head first when u find someone that u like and they like you back x
  • Options
    Is it me or is there something about butterfly's avatar...?....
  • Options
    As a female, I guess I'd say that it's confidence that makes a bloke attractive, I mean it's cute to be all shy and quiet, but if you never make any moves or never have anything to say... Well maybe that's what's up?

As for the lads a lot of girls go for, if a lady picks the sort of lad who sleeps around, it says a lot about herself too. You used the word 'romantic', romance is something more than just a shag and a lot of people don't really value how beautiful it is...

Don't worry about never having a relationship. I'm 19 and have never really been in a long term one... But then that's personal choice.
  • Options
    I have asked 2 girls out before, but one gave a "you don't want to go out with me cos I'm a bitch" speech, and the other gave a flat "no". When I said romance, I didn't mean a shag :p I meant things like being there for each other, caring for each other etc etc.

And yes, I'm very shy. No self-confidence at all. Maybe therein lies the problem...
  • Options
    i see your situation perfectly. the thing is, you just have to keep being nice. if my limited experience offers any advice, is that guys like us (romantics etc) dont want the quick things, so you should try and go for someone who is already a friend. i mean you cant choose who you fancy but it tends to turn out better if it is someone you are close to already. but all those other charismatic guys who steal all the other girls seem to be happy with 2 week flings... well at least for a while.