Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No room

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is my mini rant.

I leave for uni in under 6 hours time and yesterday morning when everything was finally packed, i received a letter saying that I haven't been allocated a room and would have to go into temp. accom. for up to a month. Then I was told I should try and limit my luggage to one suitcase (for a month!).

If I had been given some notice it wouldn't be so bad as I could have tried to make other arrangements but now I might have to send stuff back home and bring them back later even though I live quite a long way from the uni... :mad:

Has this ever happened to anyone here?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    This hasn't happened to me, but I know of occassions where it has happened.

Basically the university is at fault because they have probably admitted far too many people. They will have picked your name at random and now you'll probably be holed up in a B&B. However ,there will be people in the same boat as you so you can rely on each other.

The uni will be waiting for a few people to quit uni and therefore their rooms in order to allocate you one of those. This could be awkward because you'll end up living away from all those nice people you met in the B&B and you'll have to make more new friends.

However, try to look upon it as a learning experience. By being thrown in at the deep end like this you will be more likely to adjust to uni life than other people because you'll have to be more grown up about sorting out your problems!

I can imagine it is a total pain but remember you are not to blame - they are. Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    A similar thing happened to my friend. She's a Fresher at Northumbria and applied in time for her accomodation only to be told that she'd have to live in an university-approved flat on the other side of Newcastle to the uni. To be honest, I think it's a fusking disgrace that things like that happen to freshers. Still, you might end up with some other people in your predicament and you can all stick together. Grin and bear it, love. Such things are sent to try us. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Brantree
    A similar thing happened to my friend. She's a Fresher at Northumbria and applied in time for her accomodation only to be told that she'd have to live in an university-approved flat on the other side of Newcastle to the uni.
    Yeah it is shocking, but at least your friend got a uni-approved flat! Some people are given a list of B&Bs and told to find their own accomodation.

And I also know where your friend will have been housed. It isn't on the other side of Newcastle, trust me, it is still within the confines of the city, it just isn't only two minutes walk from the univeristy. She'd bloody know about it if it was on the other side of Newcastle.... it is a v e r y big place!
  • Options
    Last night I was put in a hotel which was very nice; en-suite, tv etc... then I was told I had to go to a temp. hall and would get help moving my gear as my family had to leave last night. This morning, the help was non-existence so I had to haul my nine bags of luggage, pc etc... by myself. On top of that the silly cabbie dropped my brand new crockery. Thankfully though a nice family saw me almost in tears trying to get my stuff into this new hall and helped me.
    The hall I'm in now is a complete dive (tv has no signal and the phoneline is dead so I can't get on the net).
    My mum's been on the phone to the accommodation people all day putting pressure on them and telling them that I'm depressed (which I now am) and they said they'll really try to find me a permanent place in the next few days.

Hopefully, I'll be able to laugh about this in a few weeks time!