Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how to get back in the routine.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i used to go to the gym nearly every day, i would run and do some light weights and so forth, details aren't important, then the end of last year and this summer i have been realy busy and pre ocupied and unable to get exercising much. now that i kind of have the time, i can't even take myself to exercise, i just don't feel the same way towrds it now, so what is a good way to start into it again?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Start of easy, and not too often. Set yourself goals. I've just started exercising after 9 months off of proper training, and I've got a charity Quadrathlon in 3/4 of a month to work towards. It gives you soemthing to focus on. Start off relativly easy, for ecample last session I did 2 sets of 25 laps of the swimming pool, next I'll do 2 sets of 30 etc, you need to start gradually... Unfortunatly I still can't afford a gym mebership at the mo, I keep getting invited to things, and end up spending my money :(
  • Options
    Re: how to get back in the routine.
    Originally posted by my_name
    i used to go to the gym nearly every day, i would run and do some light weights and so forth, details aren't important, then the end of last year and this summer i have been realy busy and pre ocupied and unable to get exercising much. now that i kind of have the time, i can't even take myself to exercise, i just don't feel the same way towrds it now, so what is a good way to start into it again?

What i did was pick a gym that was REALLY close to my house.. that way its not like a huge trip to get there.. then i started going 2 times a week and slowly went more often..

The thing i found is that once you start to notice the results.. can take about 3 months.. everything becomes REALLY easy to keep the routine.

Recently i hurt my back there though so im having a couple weeks off... then i'll start again.. :)

Also it helped for me that their were lots of sexy chicks getting sweaty their.. :)
  • Options
    I would do what Alistair and Cobalt suggested, take it slowly at first.

I'm a bit of a gym maniac myself so this doesn't apply to me, but lately I've been running more often to balance myself out. And since I'm pretty much starting back up after 2 months off, I'm in the same boat.

I started it out with 2 times a week, going 2 miles or so. Then aftera couple weeks of that, I did it three times a week, then twice a week at 2 miles, and one at three. You get the picture.

Just start out slowly so you don't burn yourself out. You'll see, it'll be okay.