Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Iraq (Not Israel)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AdamF
    Thats a moot argument.

Do you honestly believe that the nazis would have been removed by the allies had the invasion of poland not have happened? Would people be crying out for them to be ousted? No, most of the world would not even have a clue who the nazis were apart from those nutters who had a funny salute.

The nazis were in power for six years before the Second World War'. What was radically different about their regime which made it acceptable for them to be 'left in power' in that time?

• Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

You obviously missed the US bombing Afghanistan during Clinton’s tenure then, did you?

But, no, I don’t believe that they would have gone in so hard as they did, if it hadn’t been for 11/9, just as they haven’t attacked Zimbabwe and many other oppressive regimes. But then they weren’t a threat to the US or US interests. I don’t really care for the reason they did it, I’m just grateful that they did because it achieve more than the riginal war aims. As apparently are the Afghans.

I think it was Afghans who fought the ground war. The US gave air support.

I think the majority of the people in Afghanistan would agree it is a good thing that the Taliban has been removed. However there is still a large groundswell of anti-western opinion. This is the view I get from people (journalists and soldiers) who have been in the country.

Remember that the reason the Taliban came to power in the first place was because of the dreadful job the NA had done of running the country.

As opposed to what exactly? Oppression of the mass population, perhaps if you were a female Afghani, you might feel a little different.

There is still a huge culture of fear in Afghanistan. just because the religious oppression of the Taliban has been lifted, it doesn't mean the country is free.

Although you would never see me argue that the Taliban were anything other than evil. I certainly forsee another full scale civil war as soon as peacekeepers pull out.

So, should we ignore it when we can make a difference then?

No. I never said that. There is an argument about superpowers imposing a moral code on weaker nations. But I don't really subscribe to that. Perhaps I would have more respect for the US if it hadn't tried to hide behind some kind of higher ground before attacking Afghanistan.

Perhaps you’ve missed something. The Gulf War ceasefire came into force in 1991. He still hasn’t abided by its terms. I’d say that supports your own argument about co-operating. Unless you have a timeframe greater than 11 years in mind…

No - I'm not saying he has complied. He clearly hasn't. But why wait the thick end of 11 years to do it. If the US had the courage of its convictions then it would have sorted the problem a long time ago. This smacks of revenge and oil. Although the revenge part is interesting as it was Bush snr who decided not to take Saddam out in the first place.

Cowardly being trying not to get yourself killed, but killing as many of your enemy as possible. I thought that was the point of warfare.

Perhaps I also think that you should also balance that with minimising civillian risk. Conservative estimates put the collateral damage at a couple of thousand.

It is debateable as to whether the US has killed more of the enemy than it has innocent civillians

to be honest. I don't think we are that far apart on our thinking. The difference being that I class myself as a moderate with dove-ish tendancies. And you seem to be a moderate with hawkish leanings.

I don't disagree with the principle of war (although I abhorr it). I just find the US justifications and the means, rather shaky.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Do you honestly believe that the nazis would have been removed by the allies had the invasion of poland not have happened? Would people be crying out for them to be ousted? No, most of the world would not even have a clue who the nazis were apart from those nutters who had a funny salute.

The nazis were in power for six years before the Second World War'. What was radically different about their regime which made it acceptable for them to be 'left in power' in that time?

Clever idea, but it doesn't serve any purpose. It's a different argument and not strictly relevant.

Had the Taliban been expansionists, built up a mass arsenal. marched into Pakistan/India/Iran and taken it over, adopted a genocidal policy, then war would have been the only option.

However, they were not. I don't think Mullah Omar had any realistic aims of invading other countries.
  • Options
    If the justification is to remove a murderous dictator then I really don't have a problem with it.

I'm surprised that anyone does, to be honest.

The fact that the US has waited 11 years either shows that they have exercise restraint, or that there wasn't the political will to do something before hand. Either way I don't think that we should criticise them for acting now. The fact that they only push around weaker nations (ie nearly everyone else) shows that they act where they can. Again, I cannot fault them for that.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't really.

As for the Taliban, I know that Afghani still aren't as free as we are, and that they still don't trust the west. But it is still better than the position they were in before hand.
  • Options
    I can see where you are coming from, but its the fact that the US has this facade of altruism that I can't come to terms with.

There are several murdering dictators in Africa who could do with a bit of a kick up the arse. But the US won't act because it doesn't have significant commercial interests in the region.

I have also wondered why Libya is on the list. Have they not kept their heads down over the past 10 years?
  • Options
    I can see where you are coming from, but its the fact that the US has this facade of altruism that I can't come to terms with.

I don't think that they have. They emphasise their own agenda, but point out the benefits for other countries too, because they want support.

To be honest, they are more than capable of doing it for themseleves and there is fuck all anyone could do about it.

I'm sure than many people would oppose that more.
  • Options

Clever idea, but it doesn't serve any purpose. It's a different argument and not strictly relevant.

The point I was trying to make is about ifs and buts. Its no use saying this wouldnt have happened if not for this happening. It did happen and theres no changing that. You can apply that thinking to anything you want and it moves blame around nicely.

The US has never said they removed the Taliban solely because they werent very pleasant people. Its always been about them protecting Al-Queda. The fact that they are murderous thugs was just a side issue and removing them for this reason was a bonus, not the objective.
    There are several murdering dictators in Africa who could do with a bit of a kick up the arse. But the US won't act because it doesn't have significant commercial interests in the region.

Well I think its more to do with the fact that they would be ripped apart by the world liberal community. They are constantly accused of imperialism at the moment, god knows how bad it would be if they started messing around in africa.

The US doesnt have the right to remove a government simply because they are nasty to their own people, nor have they ever claimed to have that right.
  • Options
    There are regimes with equally poor human rights records. China being a prime example, but the US can't push them around.

Actually, economic means have proven to be rather effective in dealing with China. Maybe you've noticed?

Different situations, different solutions. Saddam isn't going to cooperate with arms inspectors regardless of what he says today. Actions speak louder than words. His actions have spoken loud and clear.

By the way, maybe you didn't notice, but it was Afghanis who defeated and unseated the Taliban.
  • Options
    No they didn't.

The Afghans/Afghanis did not 'defeat' the Taliban.

It was the US and its carpet bombing of the country which defeated the Taliban.

The civil war had been raging since 1996, and the opposition manged to progress to owning around 5% of the territory in six years.

They may have marched into Kabul, although if you want to be a pedant it would techincally have been John Simpson who liberated the city, but thats a symbolic thing.

I think the fact that the Taliban probably lost a few hundred to the hands of the NA and a few thousand to US bombs tells you who toppled the Taliban.

Hasn't the US signed a trade agreement with China? Their human rights record is still appalling.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Well I think its more to do with the fact that they would be ripped apart by the world liberal community. They are constantly accused of imperialism at the moment, god knows how bad it would be if they started messing around in africa.

The US doesnt have the right to remove a government simply because they are nasty to their own people, nor have they ever claimed to have that right.

Well thats where we will have to agree to disagree. I think if Bush had been honest up front and said, we want to attack Iraq because we hate Saddam and we want to protect oil interests, then he would have more respect in many eyes.

But he didn't. As has been mentioned, he changed the goalposts behind any planned attacks.

I think your point about only refraining from intervening in other conflicts because of the liberal community is wide of the mark.

The US will only get involved in a conflict if it will further their interests or agenda. The US public is always nervous about their boys going into areas that don't conern them.

Coupled with the fact that it seems the US is fully prepered to attack Iraq without a UN mandate if needed, leads me to believe that it doesn't care what people think of it and it could intervene in any conflict if it actually wanted to.

Again, I don't have a problem with self serving interest. But don't disguise it.
  • Options
    US is fully prepered to attack Iraq without a UN

Reminder - it already has a mandate. The ceasefire terms and the 23 (of 27) UN resolutions which Saddam has failed to abide by.

Its the "doves" who want more resolutions because they would rather discuss something in committee than actually do anything. Remember many of these people were the very ones who argued for sanctions before the Gulf War...
  • Options
    No they didn't.

The Afghans/Afghanis did not 'defeat' the Taliban.

It was the US and its carpet bombing of the country which defeated the Taliban.

I think the fact that the Taliban probably lost a few hundred to the hands of the NA and a few thousand to US bombs tells you who toppled the Taliban.

Carpet bombing has never won a war. Not one. But it would take some understanding of military operations to actually have a clue what you were talking about. You don't have that. As for the casualties, you're wrong. That simple. "the fact"? The fact is that the Northern Alliance was winning, slowly but steadily, and a relatively small amount of aid tipped the balance heavily to their side. You might want to read AARs instead of editorials when you want facts about military operations.
    Hasn't the US signed a trade agreement with China? Their human rights record is still appalling.

A whole lot better than what it was. And the continual changes have come about because of wanting the "American standard of living", not because of your whining. And what kind of pressure will that trade agreement allow the US to bring?