Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BT suk, I want a new ISP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yo, Well BT keep fukin me around and the web just like stops for about 3 minutes then starts again! V.annoying. Will anyone suggest a new ISP for me to try? And how much £$£$£$?
Bopz :)

Comments

• Options
    I am currently paying £15.00 a month for my internet and thats free internet after 6 and free all weekend... But I am awaiting word from BT for an upgrade to ISDL which is 15 times the speed of my normal connection and gives me free internet acess 24/7 and works out at £24.99 a month! I would get that package its quite resonable and cheap.. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by madinthenut
    I am currently paying £15.00 a month for my internet and thats free internet after 6 and free all weekend... But I am awaiting word from BT for an upgrade to ISDL
    ADSL
    which is 15 times
    10 not 15
    the speed of my normal connection and gives me free internet acess 24/7 and works out at £24.99 a month! I would get that package its quite resonable and cheap.. ;)

Get it right if you're going to advise people on it.

Oh and don't get ADSL from BT, get it from a decent ISP like pipex.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alistair

Get it right if you're going to advise people on it.

Oh and don't get ADSL from BT, get it from a decent ISP like pipex.

Whooops Sorry!! :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Thanx for the advise (even if bits of it were wrong! :p
    Anyone else got any suggestions?
    Bopz :)
  • Options
    Another satisfied Pipex user here too. :)

If you don't want to lash out for broadband, then I'd, believe it or not, recommend AOL for dial-up access. They get a lot of stick, but I found them to be the most reliable ISP - and I've used a few in my time. The software is pretty bulky, but as long as you've got a half decent PC, £15.99 (I think that's what the current rate is) a month, gets you 24/7 access. And, unlike Freeserve, NTL, BT etc... you DON'T get cut off after 1 or 2 hours so you can stay on as long as you like. :)
  • Options
    if you're looking to choose an adsl connection always check http://adslguide.org

there are a couple of new companies about to launch at £18.99pm

As all the lines come off the same bt exchange there is no downside to going cheaper (for the same bandwidth)
  • Options
    Originally posted by snowdance

As all the lines come off the same bt exchange there is no downside to going cheaper (for the same bandwidth)

Well, there is.

If you go for the cheaper options, then the support is probably not going to be as good as if you paid for a more established and expensive ISP. Also the cheaper ones are likely to be self-install.

All this is fine if you're technically able, but if you are a computer novice you may be better off paying a bit more and getting better support.
  • Options
    There is however an advantage for self install: you can do what you want with the connection as they don't know about it. Companies charge to move the master socket around the house, and will only let you install ADSL on the master socket. By getting wires only they never visited. So I was able to rip out the phone line where it comes into the house, and have it going in on the first floor, and run it through under the floor to the study, where I installed the new master socket, and instead of plugging into one computer (which is what your supposed to do on the cheaper plans) it runs into a router and is spread accross the house network.
  • Options
    I agree with Satan, try AOL.
    I started out with BT (free evening and weekend connections) for £9.99 and have steadily seen the price increase and the service get worse. I've had AOL for about 2 months now and have found that my connection speed is higher. Plus I can connect for free in the daytime!
  • Options
    MADASAFISH..............been with them over three years without a single problem. £15 a month gives me 24/7 with NO charges.
    www.madasafish.co.uk