Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who are you voting for in the next general election?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
Local elections are coming up in May, which may give us an indication of how each party will perform in the next general election, which is scheduled for January 2025 (ages away, I know)

Who are you planning to vote for in that general election? Why?

I made the poll anonymous because I know this can be a touchy subject, but would be SUPER interested to hear your reasoning below if you're happy to share it.

Also, if anyone has any juicy political data or resources about what each party stands for, feel free to drop it into the discussion so less politically minded members can learn more. :)
The truth resists simplicity.

Who are you voting for in the next general election? 6 votes

Green
50% 3 votes
Labour
16% 1 vote
Lib Dem
0% 0 votes
Tory
0% 0 votes
I don't know yet
33% 2 votes
I won't be old enough to vote
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    Oh and just a general reminder that our rule for political discussion is that even heated debate and argument is fine, just make sure your comments don't get personal. Attacking ideas and parties is all good but please don't attack your fellow Mixers. :)
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @JustV Was actually thinking about the topic of voting today! I used to know at least who I didn't want to vote for but now that has increased so I'm kind of stuck on who to actually vote for!

Feels like a lot of pressure because previously I've had no control and watched everything go south with Brexit, Covid and the cost of living and it's the first time I can "properly vote" i.e. general elections.

I'm not happy with the current government but I'm not yet sure who I would vote for in replacement
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    SNP isn’t an option but they’re probably the best out of a bad bunch if you’re Scottish
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    SNP isn’t an option but they’re probably the best out of a bad bunch if you’re Scottish
    Oof can't believe I missed SNP - me and my English brain 🤦
    @JustV Was actually thinking about the topic of voting today! I used to know at least who I didn't want to vote for but now that has increased so I'm kind of stuck on who to actually vote for!

Feels like a lot of pressure because previously I've had no control and watched everything go south with Brexit, Covid and the cost of living and it's the first time I can "properly vote" i.e. general elections.

I'm not happy with the current government but I'm not yet sure who I would vote for in replacement
    Makes total sense @lunarcat522! I wonder if it would be helpful to think about policy rather than party - in an ideal world, what changes would you want to see?
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,802 Master Poster
    I`m old enough to vote but I haven`t actually gotten around to registering and tbh I don`t understand most of the politics stuff.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    I don't know if I personally want to vote but I know if I don't vote then change won't happen. I might either vote for green party (because of their views about climate change and what is going on in the world). As I am Welsh we have the option to vote for Plaid Cymru which are quite a small political party (I think they campaign a lot for Welsh culture and preservation as well as disability rights too I think). I just want to vote the tories out if I can because I don't agree personally with their views.

That reminds a long time ago back during the lockdown days, in my area we had to do local votes and I remember seeing a political party called 'Anti Lockdown' and 'Anti virus' party. I was so confused.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Amy22 I agree with you, just don't know how best to do it, not Welsh but I'm in Scotland so I hear you :)