Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety

jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
I’m really struggling tonight, any tips on how to distract myself that isn’t the usual 5 things you can see etc. cause that doesnt work for me would be appreciated
The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    There’s this thing ive seen online about tapping each of your fingers with your thumb except your ring finger - it’s supposed to make you concentrate on that and calm down?
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Sorry I don't really have any advice I can give here. I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling <3 If you want you can always talk to me if this helps?
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,035 Boards Guru
    Sending lots of strength your way @jess63. How are you feeling today? Do you feel comfortable sharing more about how you were feeling last night? We're all here to listen and support you as best as we can :)

We have an article on The Mix's website with a long list of distraction ideas that could be helpful. It's an article focused on self-harm which might not be relevant but some of the coping tips and distraction ideas could something that helps <3

Keep us updated with how you're feeling, and really well done for reaching out for support. You're doing really well <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    jess63 wrote: »
    I’m really struggling tonight, any tips on how to distract myself that isn’t the usual 5 things you can see etc. cause that doesnt work for me would be appreciated

Hey @jess63 I find that the 5 things you see technique isn't helpful for me either. I don't know if this may be useful but have you thought about trying meditation such as Headspace's youtube channel. Sometimes when I am anxious or stressed I like to use the de-frame your stress/anxious mind meditation as it focuses on breathing and helps me keep in the present. Another one is doing something you find relaxing such as reading or doing a hobby. I tend to crochet which helps. Hope you are feeling okay,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films