Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling invisible as an autistic person and having flashbacks

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 191 Trailblazer

Hello all.

Today, I was feeling down.

No girls seem to notice me and are interested in talking to me, especially at university. For instance, I pressed a door to automatically open it, and this girl from my class did not speak or acknowledge me.

I was having flashbacks. A staff member said that in class support is rare at HE, dismissing my autism as unimportant, when I shared I was unhappy with my support. She was not sympathetic at all. I felt I was fobbed off at an event I attended to arrange my disability support. A past mentor telling me that university is not geared towards autistic people. I was imagining getting back at him, saying that he needs to think of the power of his words and that it still affects me today.

I was feeling isolated when I was eating my lunch in the canteen, and then ended up having a thought about my dad discussing with my brother that the students and staff probably do not care that I am autism. I feel I am expected to live in the same way as others and that people I am using it as an excuse, especially at home.

I have been feeling invisible in class, when conversations were going on around me, as I am the only autistic person and it is hard to relate to others. It is not as simple as going over and talking to people. It is much more complicated than that for autistic people.

I had to send an email to chase up not being assigned study skills support, when it was listed as support on a letter. I just received an email about it, with no apology. It was just brushed under the carpet, as if nothing happened.

Comments

• Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Creativeboy23

I'm hearing that you are unhappy with the support you are receiving at university. People should be able to receive support in all types of education. Is there anyone you can speak to about your lack of support for example a wellbeing centre at uni or does your uni have a wellbeing officer? The National Autistic Society has a discussion board where members with Autism can be part of an online community, if you want to talk to other people with autism that may be experiencing similar issues.

Please keep us updated with how you're feeling, we're all here for you :)
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Hello @jess63.

Yes. They do. I have an upcoming well-being appointment. So, I am planning on mentioning it then.

I appreciate your help and I will keep you updated with how I am feeling.
    Post edited by Creativeboy23 on
  • Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    Hi @Creativeboy23 I know it has been a few days since you posted but I just wanted to check; how you are doing?

I'm sorry to hear that you do not feel that you are getting the adequate support you need and deserve - it must be devastating and frustrating. But I'm glad you have an upcoming well-being appointment, I hope it goes well and you feel that you are being heard and listened to.

Would you be interested in joining any extra circulars or societies at your university, most universities have a neurodiversity society, if you would be interested in joining. It is a great way to need like-minded people! Many students struggle in making and maintaining meaningful relationships, as well as finding their place and feeling a sense of belonging, so many are open to everyone and are very welcoming.

Take care, Fiona =)
  • Options

Hello @fiona333.

l am okay

It did not go well but I have moved on from that now.

Yes. I am going to join the design society, and I was signposted to a neurodiversity society on Facebook months ago, but the page was not updated. So, I will have to speak to my autism support team about that.

• Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    Hi @Creativeboy23 I'm glad to hear you are okay now.

I'm sorry to hear that your wellbeing appointment didn't go well, if you would like to talk about it some more, I'm here for you!

The Design Society sounds interesting, what kind of events do they do?
    Unfortunately, many university societies do not stay active on social media, but hopefully, when you get in contact with them, you may find they have a groupchat.

I hope things work out for you, please keep us updated!
    Best wishes,
    Fiona. :)
  • Options
    Hello @fiona333.

It is fine thank you but I appreciate the offer.

The design society go on art gallery visits, do quiz and pizza nights, Photoshop workshops and much more.

I still need to get on to the autism team about the situation. I have been so busy that I have forgotten.