Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling with Anorexia, Bulimia and starting a new relationship.

StargazerStargazer Posts: 3 Newbie
edited October 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Hi, my names Star

I've been struggling with anorexia and bulimia for two years. I am struggling having put this weight back on.
I started dating someone new in the past couple of weeks and I am finding it hard to eat in front of him. I also find it hard to want to be close to him or take compliments/ jokes about my body seriously.
I've started this chat hoping that someone here could have some useful advice or perhaps even be struggling with something similar.

Love,
Star. x
Post edited by Aife on

Comments

• Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Stargazer Hey Star, that is a tough thing you are going through and trust me I know, I was previously diagnosed with anorexia but during recovery I gained really unhealthy habits and have bulimia. I know what you are going through and understand how hard recovery is but you can do this, seriously. My advice is to take it in small steps and don't fret the small things. I'm sorry you are finding it hard to eat in front of him-perhaps build up to it so start eating with your friends and then him? If you are struggling with joking around your body then ask him to stop and explain the situation to him but if it is compliments then you have to understand that like you have preconceived notions regarding your body, so does he and it is okay for them to not overlap. I really hope this helps and good luck, you will do amazing!
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi Star. Welcome to the boards :heart:

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's not always easy to share things openly and honestly so this is a great step - I'm proud of you :heart:

I would love to echo Maryam's advice. One step at a time. I'm wondering, are you receiving any support at the moment?

With any relationships, you should only ever do what you feel comfortable with. So if there are certain things you don't feel comfortable with right now, such as the jokes, let him know. You don't have to explain everything if you don't want to - simply explaining that you're not quite comfortable with these things is absolutely okay. Perhaps you could say it over a text message so that you have time to review what it is you'd like to say - can make it a little less daunting.

Best of luck with everything - we're right here for you :blush:
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Welcome to the community @Stargazer, you've taken a brave step posting here and I hope we can help support you here <3

I've edited your post slightly in line with our community guidelines and removed the details you mentioned about your current weight. We have a few community guidelines we ask everyone to follow so we can keep the community safe. I know you've just joined so might not be aware of them just yet which is completely okay :) If you have any questions at all, do let us know. We're keen to help you get the best support here <3

I also moved your topic over to the Health and Wellbeing section of the forum so it will hopefully be seen by a few more people here and help you get a bit more support from our community members :)

@maryam852 and @coc0mac have given some lovely advice. Do let us know how you're getting on and keep posting here whenever you need to :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤