Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phantom Pain?

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
I'm getting a sharp but dull (and agonising) pain on my arm where I broke it twice a few years ago. A bit of the bone chipped away from my elbow and caused some nerve damage down my ulnar nerve.

I've not had pain in it like this for years and it definitely doesn't feel like it's damaged. It's just a dull sitting pain but it's sharp.

What causes phantom pain? Can depression cause it? How do I deal with it since I read phantom pain can't be targeted by painkillers? Ffs only me 🤦🏻‍♀️
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    I actually do get this where I broke my collar bone and thought it was phantom pain , I was reffered to the physio and he said what can happen is that the muscles where you broke it can become tighter and sometimes overcompensate by tightening to much and pinching a nerve hence the sudden slight sharp pain . I found ibuprofen gel helped with trying to relax the muscles slightly as that could be rubbed straight into the area
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Millie2787 That is some good advice, Millie. I am sure that you are not the only one who is going through this, @Anch0r33 . In fact, it may be helpful for you to talk to a healthcare professional because even though this may be a mental sensation, there is a possibility there is actually something wrong. What do you think?
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Thanks both - I had a long recovery and struggled to do exercise on the arm for a few years after. This was because the NHS originally missed the break and I returned to action too early (I was in my competitive era), for it ultimately to happen again. Went to a different hospital for them to discover a "2 month old break" that had been worsened/rebroken/healing process halted. So the rebreak really caused me a lot of issues, ended up in one of those blue slings and intensive physio. Bit of a nightmare tbh.

The pain is definitely phantom, I've already been referred to a rheumatologist for other issues so once that comes through I'll possibly talk to them about it.

It's not causing me major issues, it's fine most times then other times it's just absolutely agony.

I think I'll try out the ibuprofen gel and go from there. I can tell when the nerve is playing up because my pinkie goes tingly so I'm reasonably aware of when that happens :)
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `