Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Priv landlords

CalebCaleb Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
Come home from work early today to find my landlord in my flat looking through my girlfriends wardrobe. He said he was just checking on his flat. I said he isn’t allowed to just walk into our home and go through our things. He said he owns the property and he can.

i have a hard time communicating with him because he speaks broken English. I’ve been thinking I’m going mad because I’m coming home from work with things being moved and doors left open. But now it’s obvious that the landlord is coming into the flat whilst me and my girlfriend are at work.

I’m frustrated that he is doing this especially during a pandemic. Is he actually allowed to just walk into our home and look through our things? Nothing has gone missing but there’s some personal, private things in our bedroom which we don’t want strangers looking through. 

What are our rights here? Are we not entitled to privacy when private renting ?

Comments

• Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey!

A quick Google says no especially without warning it is illegal for them enter.

Could it be possible to get any info from citizens advice and discuss it if he does not stop? 

The broke English sounds annoying as it's hard to communicate! 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    Thanks @Laine I thought this would be the answer. Caught him again and he has no shame so we’ve decided to look for somewhere else to live 
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Can you try and set up some hidden cameras to take as evidence to the police for trespassing? You shouldn't feel unsafe in your home and you have your right to privacy. I've never been in my own place but it seems common sense that they should have to let you know when they're entering and general communication seems a reasonable thing to do as a landlord? 

Hope you get it all sorted! 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,968 Community Veteran
    Private landlords aren't the ppl to give money to, they leave things in disrepair, n they make u seem u owe them money wen u don't. I recommend you go to scewfix n change Ur locks. Or change over to the council somehow
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,968 Community Veteran
    Ppl r not allowed to go in and rummage. Tht is against the law
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    KHI1886kKHI1886k Deactivated Posts: 136 The Mix Convert
    I will second what @ellie2000 said It Is against the law to rummage through belongings that is someone elses without their permission. I don't rent through the priv landlords I go through the normal shit lol.