Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sia's new film Music

sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
edited February 2021 in Politics & Debate
Hi,
Sia has made a new film called music which has been hugely problematic over her treatment of Autistic people and the community. It has multiple scenes of prone restraint in a very unsafe manor. It is also using a nerotypical actor to portray the autistic cartature Music. It uses Music as a plot line rather as her own person. There are also many issues with the way Sia has treated the autistic community.
I would recommend to not see this film.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? 
If anyone would like me to find further information let me know.
Thank you
Ge
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    I haven't seen the film as i've heard a lot about it. I watched a video clip yesterday of Sia saying Maddie (who played the character) was worried people would be upset by her portrayal or that she'd offend people. It seems that Maddie was forced into something she didn't want to do.

Rather than "raising awareness" of autisim like Sia said, it seems the film is making a mockery out of it.
    I can only imagine how damaging this is to the autistic community <3
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The whole film is a mockery....and from what I've seen and heard, the restraint scenes are so dangerous and aren't done properly.
    Unfortunately Maddie is tied by contract to Sia (shes the main feature in most of Sia music videos) she had no choice but to perform.
    I myself won't be watching the film because it's just damaging and misinformative
  • Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    I couldn't bring myself to watch it but, like all of you, I've seen and heard truly awful things. Sia has made several gross comments objectifying autistic people in the lead up to this film, sought advice from Autism Speaks, repeatedly ignored the advice of autistic people and campaigners about the dangers of prone restraint and its portrayal. I mean, the list goes on. She clearly doesn't care about the damage she's doing, the way she's treated the autistic community or Maddie Ziegler. Quite frankly, their 'relationship' is downright toxic and it's obvious to anyone paying attention that's she's grooming her.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    @chubbydumpling
    I haven't watched it. I refuse. I've seen lots of videos about it on social media which is why I know about certain clips