Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Recommend me a musical

Lauren223Lauren223 Posts: 71 Budding Regular
Hey hey,

I'm Lauren, some of you may recognise me because I volunteer here occasionally; I also work for the counselling team and staff lead of the Services Innovator Committee (SIC).

I have a confession to make - I loathe musicals, which to 90% of my friendship circles is a massive sin. I want to try a nice variety of musicals to see if maybe, just maybe, I don't mind them or if I can confirm that musicals are just not my cup of tea.

I have no requirements - I am willing to give anything a go. I am prone to feeling  f e e l s  so maybe one with a banging heartfelt tune is a win for me.

Just for ease - these musicals need to be available online because for obvs reasons, I can't go to the West End to see them, but hey, I have a Drama degree with discounts to theatres, so maybe if you help me find the musicals for me, it could be something to consider!!

Keep being awesome,
Lauren

Comments

• SneakylilmochaSneakylilmocha Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    I recommend Dear Evan hansen and Heathers though, both of them are good! :smile:
    "Grow from the dirt they left you in."
  • Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Ooooo if you have Disney + I'd highly highly recommend Hamilton. Not so much heartfelt but can get you in the mood to complete any task on the to do list of the day! 
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Emma_ I think I've watched Hamilton maybe 100 times? At least! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Defo Hamilton! I hate musicals but watched Hamilton twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times 
    @liam the second time was even at your own will! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Waitress is great too! Shrek the musical was an experience I wouldn't recommend tho  :#
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    HA! It’s true... Eleanor forced me to watch it the first time. When I seen it was nearly 3 hours long I could have cried. There’s a few bippity bops in there though. Had to re watch for the t00nz 
  • SneakylilmochaSneakylilmocha Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    edited December 2020
    Emma_ said:
    Waitress is great too! Shrek the musical was an experience I wouldn't recommend tho  :#
    Hamilton and waitress are also great! I never heard of  Shrek the musical before, but I'll give it a listen first :lol:
    Edit: Nope, not good at all :grimace:
    "Grow from the dirt they left you in."
    I've seen a few goodens! I've seen Dear Even Hansen which was amazing, Billy Elliot (also amazing!) and Titanic The Musical which is sooo good (if you're into the history of the titanic!)
    Alis propriis volat 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Like most other people have said, Hamilton is amazing. The first musical I saw was Les Mis and I absolutely loved it so would defo recommend that as well
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Agree with everyone that Hamilton is fantastic and definitely worth a watch. Heartfelt tunes are very Les Mis. If you were looking for something upbeat and also online, I believe that both the Mamma Mia films are on Netflix or Amazon Prime. 
  • Lauren223Lauren223 Posts: 71 Budding Regular
    Okay so I am hearing from a lot of you that I should take the plunge with Hamilton? Righto, I will give that a watch tomorrow, followed by Les Mis on Thursday.

How many boxes of tissues will I need for these two??
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hamilton has some funny uplifting moments but may also need a few tissues. Les Mis is great but definitely a box of tissues, is not the happiest of musicals.
    Soooo I watched TWO musicals today. In the morning, as suggested, I went for Hamilton. It was okay - I wasn't blown away by it though :( I did enjoy the contemporary elements in a piece based in 1700s/1800s and My Shot, Burn and Satisfied were banging songs. If I researched the piece before watching it might have helped me understand what was going on :lol:

I just finished Sweeney Todd, and I LOVED that one. Maybe it was because it was so bonkers and I cannot stop singing 'Johannnnaaaaaaaaaa'.

Tomorrow I am going for Les Mis, followed by something upbeat - @Gemma recommended Mamma Mia, so might give that a whirl. Any other upbeat ones I can stream online? There were loads of cool ones mentioned, like Waitress, Dear Evans, Heathers - put I am not sure if I can stream em?
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I'm a fan of Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods. My bf is big into the rocky horror picture show but I'm just creeped out by it tbh. 

(_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Oohhh I watched Hairspray today and absolutely loved it! I'm thinking maybe I'm not a weeper, I'm a dance-alonger.

Still haven't got round to Les Mis, but it is on my to watch list!
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    You can't stop the beat is the best song from Hairspray 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    So so true @Dancer - I cannot stop singing it!!

It's going to be hard to find a musical as good at this, but I do love a challenge  =)
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Haven’t seen it but Aladdin the musical is coming to Disney+ soon I think and apparently it’s amazing so I’d recommend that for when it’s released!! I’d also recommend Hamilton as so many already have and I’d recommend Come From Away! The soundtrack is amazing (In my opinion ahaha) I love everything musicals it’s so hard to pick my best recommendations ahaha. Also for films into the woods and Chicago are very good!! Hope you find some good ones 
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    @Lauren223 have you seen any new musicals recently?
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    High school musical 🎵 
    Hey @GreenTea!

Where do I start??! I watched the Greatest Showman and I cannot stop bopping away to some of those bangers. It felt wholesome, not my favourite, but good songs.

Can we count A Star Is Born? If so, gave that a watch. I thought the actual story element was a bit bland tbh, very predictable, but then again this version is based on all the other versions of the film, so I guess that's why it felt predictable. Banging songs though. I can see why Lady Gaga got so many awards for the music.

I watched Mamma Mia and I LOVED it. Even went through both of the films in one day :grin: 

@Emoji246 that is a really good recommendation! I know heaps of people who watched and loved the HSM series. I somehow managed to avoid it all through school, but maybe it's time for me to bite the bullet and go full on 2000s again!
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I haven't watched a star is born so I wouldn't know if it's classed as one or not!