Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Safe person (trigger warning)

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Trigger warning suicide thoughts

Has anyone heard of a “safe person” 

I had an assessment yesterday with the health and well-being service. I admitted to them that while I do not think about suicide as such, I do get thoughts of “I could just ...” or “I wonder what would be like if I was gone? Would people miss me?”

however I cannot want to or see myself doing something like that at all, meaning it’s classed as passive suicide.

they asked me if I had a “safe person” which I said I’d never heard of it. 

She told me it’s a person you feel you can go to and just say “I’ve been having bad thoughts” and then either sit with them until you are feeling a bit better or have a chat with etc.

I was thinking of asking my manager at work as well as a friend.. I can’t see myself ever needing to use this if I’m honest, I also don’t want to put something this big on their shoulders,
but what do you guys think? Have you got one?

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I've never heard of a safe person but that sounds really sweet I guess throughout my childhood my father was my safe person now I think I about it!  

Its understandable not wanting to put it on their shoulders but  if you ask them and they say yes I think its okay. Besides it's just someone to have a cuppa with and say you know what I'm not okay x

Its good to have there in case I think you never when you may use it 💕

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I don’t think I have a ‘safe person’ like that but it sounds like a really good idea. At work I have someone who I can talk to and if I feel anxious or whatever I know I can speak to her without having to explain myself. Which I find really useful. 

It sounds like a really good idea to have someone as your safe person, who you can go to if your not feeling great x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I've never heard of that term before, but I agree with the others, it sounds like a great idea :heart: 
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @One-in-a-million You're an amazing person! If you saw the comment that was posted above before it was removed please ignore it and know that you you're a wonderful person! <3 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    @Eleanor not sure what post you were referring to, is everything ok?

and aww thank you that means a lot, you and everyone one here is wonderful too xx
    @One-in-a-million Not to worry! There was a troll online last night leaving wee comments on everyone's posts. I know some people get an email notification so even though the comments have been deleted, someone people can still see them. 

I just left a little message on all the posts that were affected <3
    Alis propriis volat 
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    @Eleanor aww bless you:) you are so sweet,
     I didn’t get any notifications so no worries xx
    ;) hopefully whoever it was gets blocked some people haven’t got anything better to do lol
    @One-in-a-million Ah yes it's all sorted now! They've been removed and so have all their comments! :)
    Alis propriis volat