Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cultural appropriation.

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
Should white poeple not grow dreadlocks?
Should Jamie Oliver not make Asian dishes?
Is wearing a sombrero really offensive to mexicans?

Does the concept of cultural appriation have any merit or is it simply a load of old pony?

I'm increasingly beginning to think it's the later. 
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    I think a lot of these cultural appropriations are outdated now. We live in a society were a lot of cultural appropriations have diffused and almost been adopted by other cultures other than their mother culture. 

I think culture appropriations still do exist but perhaps not in the same way we would have thought of previously. For example, many white people now grow dreadlocks where as years ago that would have been almost unheard of. This is perhaps similar in the way that religions wear certain clothes or headscarves - if you were not part of this culture, or identify with this religion then you probably wouldn't wear them. However, in 20 years time, these clothing may be the next fashion craze - religious or not. 

It's likely that cultural appropriations are time bound and not set in stone :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Posts: 242 Trailblazer
    Eleanor said:
    I think a lot of these cultural appropriations are outdated now. We live in a society were a lot of cultural appropriations have diffused and almost been adopted by other cultures other than their mother culture. 

I think culture appropriations still do exist but perhaps not in the same way we would have thought of previously. For example, many white people now grow dreadlocks where as years ago that would have been almost unheard of. This is perhaps similar in the way that religions wear certain clothes or headscarves - if you were not part of this culture, or identify with this religion then you probably wouldn't wear them. However, in 20 years time, these clothing may be the next fashion craze - religious or not. 

It's likely that cultural appropriations are time bound and not set in stone :) 
    I completely agree with this.
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I interpret the meaning the same way as @Aidan, and agree with @Eleanor totally that a lot of them are completely out of date now and very old fashioned. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    I did not know Iraq had the first hospital @Aidan! Every day is a school day.

I think for the most part it depends on what is being "approprriated". I think people should stray away from things that are culturally sacred(e.g Native American Headdresses).  I also think people should avoid things that are offensive, for example you shouldn't dress up as a cultural stereotype for Halloween. Although, saying that, as a Scottish person I wouldn't be offended if a non-Scot dressed up in a kilt for Halloween but that's just personal preference. On top of that, plenty of people(mostly in America and the UK) dress up or "appropriate" certain things for St Patrick's Day. 

Although I suppose the above begs the question is dressing up as a stereotype for Halloween "cultural appropriation" or is it something else?

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Aidan said:
    Is cultural appropriation the idea that you can't use things from a culture that you don't belong too? 
    It's not quite that simple.

Objections arise when members of a dominant culture appropriate things from disadvantaged minority cultures.

I understand that argument, however I think it's regressive, as it promotes division rather than inclusion. And culture being a subjective social construct is very hard to define. There is no such thing as an original culture, all culures have been influenced by other cultures at some point.
    The idea of 'white culure' and 'black culure' is absurd imo.
    Weekender Offender 
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    edited October 2020
    I don't think a lot this cultural appropriation is real tbh. We all share and learn from other cultures.
    Back on a study trip to a certain country in africa this idea was asked to a shop person who said he was very happy to see everyone else appreciating his culture by taking things back with them and it was not upsetting at all. And he got a thriving business from it ;P

Ofc we have to be sensitive when dealing with certain topics like religion and things like indigenous people. Only tho cuz of certain expectations and sensitivities. Imo nothing is really sacred but ye best to be careful to tread

That said Ive seen people get hate for creating characters based on indigenous culture which imo isn't bad as they were only really inspired not actually mocking them. And there are many characters like based on indigenous people in the media some which are created to teach an important lesson like in cartoons for children. Does it mean we can't have stories about native americans at all unless they are made by them? I also think it's fine for people to disagree but these days I see a lot of people acting in really not great ways on social media and shaming people they don't like. Or because they didn't support so and so.