Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Old Landlady trouble

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
Hey guys,

October last year I moved into a 3 bedroom property with my parents and partner. I signed a contract for the place, however, didn't receive a copy of the said contract. We paid a deposit of £800, but never got anything for it.

I've just moved into a 2 bedroom property with my partner, and the landlord here said that the deposit goes into a government fund thing and that I'll get an email stating they've received it. I told him the previous landlady never did that and he said that was illegal and that we may have to take court action.

Fast forward to today, the landlady is claiming that we have stolen 3 double beds from the property, a fridge, a freezer and a washing machine. The beds weren't in the property when we moved in, but the appliances were. The Sunday after we moved in, the landlady's husband and son came to the property to take the appliances out.

We don't have any proof of anything and I'm stuck with what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hann

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I've taken it to google and found something from Citizen's advice:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/during-your-tenancy/complaining-about-your-landlord/
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/ending-your-tenancy/getting-your-tenancy-deposit-back/

I was going to message her myself and ask when we were getting the deposit back and see where we go from there since citizens advice is suggesting court action as well... 
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    That sounds like a tough situation to be in.

Just so I can make sure I understand what has happened. You moved into a 3 bed property and paid a deposit. You moved to a new 2 bed property. Upon moving, your previous landlord accused you of stealing things from that flat and is now refusing to give you your deposit?

I know you mentioned that you have no proof of anything so I thought I'd run through a few things that might be seen as proof but you had not considered. If I understand right, the beds belonged to you and weren't part of the flat. Do you have a receipt or proof of purchase of the bed? That could show that the landlord is not telling the truth about that. You mention that the Sunday after you moved into the property the appliances were remove. Do you have any photos you took of the property after that date showing that the appliances weren't there?

It could be worth your time to get in touch with your local citizens advice so you can explain your problem and see if they can suggest you best options right now.

Let us know how you get on.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Hi sorry, I normally get emails when I get a reply.

This all got sorted, she spoke to her husband that day and he confirmed what we said and she apologised. Said she would return the money within 10 days but I had to remind her on the 10th day and we got it.

But yeah I basically had loads of links regarding this, i.e citizens advice and the government website (joys of previously being a volunteer signposter for here), and was ready to take her to court if she messed us about. We didn't have pictures or proof of purchase for any of our things, the only proof we had was the progress of the bad damp in the house which never got sorted and which she will have fun sorting now. 

Again sorry for not replying. Thanks for the response though. 
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Glad this got sorted out and you got your money back!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.