Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Magic Mushrooms

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
No I am not doing drugs although the title might make it seem like that. Absolutely clean.  Always have been and always will be! :P 

Made an absolutely awkward and hilarious mistake a few minutes ago.

I got some sweets from the shop on the way home from school  (still been going to school.) One of the boxes is called "Magic Mushrooms." The other box is just gummy fried eggs. My mum opened the box for me and I had a sweet. I said "Magic Mushrooms taste great." My mum told me to not call them that because Magic Mushrooms are completely different and illegal. But the sweets are called Magic Mushrooms.

Apparently Magic Mushrooms  (the non-sweet thing) is actually drugs. I didn't even know that. It was so funny but awkward.

What sort of drug is the actual magic mushrooms? And what class is it? I am just absolutely curious about this because of my awkward mistake. I do not want to do drugs! I hate them. Even caffeine (except for chocolate!) 
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Tagged:

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Aidan said:
    Magic mushrooms are basically mushrooms containing psilocin or psilocybin. 

They're class A, meaning up to 7 years and/or an unlimited fine for possession, and up to life in prison and/or an unlimited fine for supplying!

https://www.talktofrank.com/ knows a lot about drugs! But I'd wager our resident expert @Skive is a lot more knowledgeable so I'd wait around for their answer ;) 

Thanks Aidan. As you say most magic mushrooms contain psilocin or psilocybin. In the UK there are a number of varieties but the most commonly found and easilly identifiable is the Liberty Cap, which grown in grassy areas and heathland. Down here in the New Forest they're extremely common, and I've had picked tens of thousands of them over the years. 

Consuming aorund 80 them will give you a moderate trip. 140 will have you tripping your tits off. This is avery powerful drug at high doses. I used to love them, used to produce serious visuals, and fits of giggles that would last hours, but the effects do last a long time. 

They're pretty easy to recgonise, and there isn't much risk to your physical health, however some people can become extremely anxious when tripping, and this can be a horrific experience.

Psilocybin are illegal - fresh or prepared. which is frankly ridiculous. They grown in my garden for ffs.
    Howevefr there are another type of shroom which don't contain psilocybin, which are still legal to pick and prepare. Fly Agraic - The fairytle red mushrooms with white dots. I've taken these on maybe a dozen occasions after preparing them properly int he overn, and without much ill effect apart from and upset stomache. Quite a different trip - but very enjoyable. Caution need to be applied here however as these mushrooms do belong to the Amita familly of mushrooms which contain some of the most poisoness mushrooms in the world.
    Weekender Offender 
    Mike said:
    Thats a good article. However to be picky shrooms don't just grow in the woods.
    Liberty Caps are our most common shroom in the uk and they grow out int he open, commons, fields, hills and heathland.
    Fly Agraics grow in grassy areas near Silver Birch trees.
    Weekender Offender 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Thank you everyone. Sometimes all of this drugs language can be very hard for young people like me who do not take drugs to understand but at least I am beginning to understand it a bit better now.  Don't do drugs kids  (and adults!)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Kasa2103 said:
    Thank you everyone. Sometimes all of this drugs language can be very hard for young people like me who do not take drugs to understand but at least I am beginning to understand it a bit better now.  Don't do drugs kids  (and adults!)
    Feel free to ask anything. This forum used to be quite a busy forum with lots of knowledgeable people who used to enjoy taking recreational  drugs. They all moved on now apart from me, and at nearly 40 years old I very rarely take anything now.

Still happy to share advice or experiences though - I’ve taken most things over the years.

Weekender Offender 
  • MiaMia Posts: 26 Boards Initiate
    @Skive lool, I never know what to say when people who have never taken them ask me about it, I usually just pretend I'm a saint cos I don't want to get them into it hahaha. (only because it's illegal) and also people on here might be struggling with their mental health already - it's hard to know if those things will improve their situation or not tbh. I guess it's debatable 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    This thread has been rather insightful - thank you! I’d heard of magic mushrooms (the drug, not the sweet) but never really knew what they were. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Mia said:
    @Skive lool, I never know what to say when people who have never taken them ask me about it, I usually just pretend I'm a saint cos I don't want to get them into it hahaha. (only because it's illegal) and also people on here might be struggling with their mental health already - it's hard to know if those things will improve their situation or not tbh. I guess it's debatable 

Funny enough there is some evidence that small doeses of psilocybin can help with depression, though obviously slef medicating with any drug is never advisable. 

I'm not one for encouragng drug use but I'm not going to hide the fact that i've taken drugs before and had a good time with little to no negative effects on my life.
    Weekender Offender