Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling to Sleep

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,799 Master Poster
Last night I had a really difficult night. I was feeling really emotionally exhausted so I fell asleep much earlier than usual  (well it was very early for a Saturday- normally go to sleep about 11:30pm but I actually fell asleep at 9:45pm.) The first few hours were okay. Took me a while to get into a deep sleep though. I kept on tossing and turning due to the thoughts whirring through my head. Eventually I managed to get into a deep sleep for a while.

Then at about 1:30am I woke up and could not get back to sleep. I tried to have a drink of water as I just thought I was a bit dehydrated but it did not help me at all with getting back to sleep. It did not help that the TV was still on and there was a ghostly TV show. It made my anxiety even worse than what  it already was. I would have tried to turn off the TV but I could not find the physical energy to turn it off so I left the TV on. 2am came and I could still not get back into a deep sleep. I was so tempted to just go on to my phone as I thought that I would not be able to get back to sleep. But I didn't. I tried to relax but thoughts were still whirring through my head. Eventually at about 2:20am I managed to get back into a deep sleep which lasted for another 6 hours before I woke up. Spent 2 hours lazing around in bed on my phone because I could not find the energy to get out of bed.

Every night I struggle to go to sleep and stay asleep but an episode of waking up at goodness knows what time and not being able to get back to sleep for about a year. I can't cope with it.  :(

Some of this probably makes no sense so sorry about it. It is mainly just a rant.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Sending hugs Kasa, have you tried natural technique's to help you sleep?
    some things that help me is:
     lighting a candle so my room smells lovely
     mopping my floor with chamomile floor cleaner (chamomile and lavender help you sleep)
     having a 'sleepy tea' before bed

I've also heard just having 2 cups of chamomile tea can help you sleep better at night :) you can also get some lavender pillow spray which I've been told helps people as well :) also you can get calms (I think that's it) it's like a herbal sleeping tablet :)

if you're still struggling with it after trying the natural stuff, and it's affecting you badly, maybe it's worth a visit to your GP? <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Heya kasa, sorry to hear you are struggling with sleep! Sometimes when there's so much on our minds, we can't shut off.

Have you tried keeping a journal next to your bed? You can write down what's on your mind when you can't sleep, it might help you relax a little more! Sometimes I wake up in the night feeling really anxious and lots on my mind, I tend to scribble it into a notebook on my bedside table and then go through it in the morning!
    Having a good night routine can really help to, sticking to it! No screens an hour before bed, reading is better, having some relaxing music on, meditation, skin care routine etc!

Lavender essential oil (if you aren't allergic!) Is good too! It's nice to put a couple drops in the bath, or a diffuser, it helps ease your stress and relax!

Would it be worth chatting to your parents about the struggle to sleep? They might be able to support you and get you to the GP who might offer something to help! 

Hope you get a good night sleep soon! I can understand how tough it is to feel so exhausted and not sleep! 
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Kasa2103

Sorry to hear you have been having difficulties sleeping - it really is the most frustrating thing! :heart:

I think the suggestions above could be some really good ideas to try. Perhaps you could try them out and let us know if anything helps? And if not, we could help you to think of more ideas :smile:

I was really struggling to sleep last night, so I searched for 'sleep meditation music' and left that playing. It helped me to fall asleep, but also it gave me a really good quality night's sleep so I would definitely recommend that too!