Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Council tax

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Hello all.

So I'm looking at new properties to move to and having a mare with council tax. 
Is it true that single occupancy can have 25% off council tax? 
It's so stressful trying to work it all out because I'm awful at maths!

Comments

• finnfinn Posts: 12 Settling in
    Hi, yes that is true, if you're living alone you can get 25% off your council tax bill :)
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    thank you

Can you spread the Payments out over 12 months Instead of 10?
  • finnfinn Posts: 12 Settling in
    @GreenTea I'm afraid i don't actually know the answer to that but perhaps you could call up your local council and see what they say? I pay my council tax over 10 months and it's £150 or so per month 
    That's so expensive!

We worked out for band A with 25% off it's £90
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah you do. They make a check around to make sure others aren't living there. But counsil tax has gone up this month
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I'm basing my calculations off the 2020/2021 council tax
    Adulting is so stressful!