Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pro-life or pro-choice ?

NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
This poll has probably been done many times on this website but since I can't seem to find one I thought I would do a new one. This is not meant as a provocation in any way, I'm just curious to know what the proportions are.
(I'm sorry if this has been done 100 times already)
I love you.
“You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.” 
-Hayao Miyazaki

Pro-life or pro-choice ? 26 votes

Pro-life
15%
SkiveNekolovesteaDanteAlanisEGM 4 votes
Pro-choice
84%
independent_MaisyJellyelephantSienaPast UserLucy307LaineRileyEyepatchDancerGreenTeamags98ClaraOswaldPoppyBdancertoriToniConnorThePigeonsBenMaTiredSquirrel 22 votes

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Pro-choice
    I am personally grateful they are there for me it makes me feel much more secure.

I always do the best I can when it comes to contraceptives but there is still a risk as it's not 100%. I could not imagine bringing a child into the world that I can't care for, it would be a huge financial hit I would have to go on benefits and I would struggle to work especially the first few years. Then that struggle would be put upon my partner who would be working more hours than me.

I could not bring myself to put the child up for adoption. I never want kids but I don't want them put into care it breaks my heart.

Due to my condition I'm more unlikely to mother a child as I get older and older. I'm at increased risk for miscarriages and complications. 

I think abortions are great options we should just continue to make sure they are the last resort as in after contraceptive failure. 
    Something that would greatly help is sterilisation. It's hard to get and you often have to be 40 or have one or two kids to get it. If it was more available for those who never wanted kids that would certainly help more. I have the chance to get it younger for my health but most will have to wait till they've had kids and that's not great for people who don't want them lol x

I think this discussion is great it doesn't get brought up much :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Pro-life
    I inadvertently clicke pro life.

I am without a doubt pro choice - with caveats
    Weekender Offender 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Pro-choice
    I’m definitely of the opinion that women should be able to do whatever we like with our bodies...and no one has a right to dictate what we do.

Like others I am reassured by the fact that it is an option, as for me as a 17 year old who is still at college and doesn’t have a job, I would worry that I wouldn’t be able to give a child the amazing life it should have. I’m also careful with contraception as I’m paranoid this happens to me. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Pro-choice
    As Rachel Green says...

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Pro-choice
    Having being through an abortion myself, it's extremely truamarising and difficult to go through. Nobody knows the full extent as to why someone might have to terminate a pregnancy. 
  • DanteAlanisDanteAlanis Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Pro-life
    I can see that there are situations where abortion might be a good idea, however, shouldn't the unborn child be be given a choice? I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just wondering what people think.
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Pro-choice
    I think not being born is better than having a shit life wishing your were never born. Possibly having a difficult disease, parents that don't want you, not being able to take care of you. I'm don't think it should be used as an second contraceptive. But having a child when you don't want to or you didn't choose to make one and getting a lot of mental issues is not a way to live, and not fair for the child.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Pro-choice
    This is a topic that we were learning about at school near the end of the winter term. This topic is so debatable.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Pro-choice
    I just had a dream i was pregnant. But yeah anyway. People say its killing a baby but i would disagree and its not deveoped yet. Not that it makes it any less sad but yeah i don’t know how to explain it. But its still their body and chioce and sometimes its not the time to bring up a baby
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Pro-choice
    @Aidan that's a great observation really. Never heard anyone about it. So basically they have the same goal.

It's not that pro-choice are all for more abortions to happen. But the debate around it made it seem that way.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited April 2020
    It's not that pro-choice are all for more abortions to happen. But the debate around it made it seem that way.
    I've heard the term 'pro-abort' thrown around and it makes me pretty angry. It's as if pro-choice people are out there shouting about how awsesome and fun abortions are. Such a big mischaracterisation. :confused:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Pro-choice
    Although I have never been through it, abortions definitely do not sound like fun at all. They sound risky and really scary for the woman to go through. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • BenMaBenMa Moderator, Staff Posts: 143 Helping Hand
    Pro-choice
    I'm definitely pro-choice, everybody has freewill and I think that's particularly important whenever it comes to decisions that that will have a massive impact on you. Nobody should be pressured, or forced into making a decision either-way.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.