Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BPD - Staying updated.

maddie050maddie050 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
Hey everyone, in this thread, I’ll let you guys all know how I’m doing. 

So I’ve just been recently diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder) does anyone have this disorder. If you do, please share some coping methods. Thank you. <3
Sometimes space and time is the cure, but all it is, is Support, Passion, Love and Belief.

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2020
    I have Borderline personality disorder / emotionally unstable personality disorder. 

I had DBT therapy which told me a lot of coping technqiues for BPD. Ones like checking the facts of things im thinking as may not be true.another one is weighing out the pros and cons of doing things - things that can seem self distructive which helps me to see i will be worst off if i implusively do what my mind tell me to. And also learnt mindfullness and grounding techniques which was mostly being mindful of all my senses around me in a way to calm me down. 

I was also diagnosed when i was sectioned and i hated being told there waas something wrong with my personality. But ive realised its a horrible name and doesnt mean there is anything wrong with you and its a really common diagnosis so youre defo not alone and other members have that diagnosis too and im sure will give you some coping skills too. It can be really hard to manage but the more you get mindful of things it can start to get easier <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Awh @Shaunie

Thank you for telling me. That explains why my key worker asked me I forgot I could try the grounding technique. Thank you for sharing all of that with me. Im down for Emotional Dysregulation Disorder. And I ripped up the paper when I found out. And I’m glad I’m not alone. And hopefully things do get easier. And they think I might have ADHD and/or Autism. 

Thank  ok you for responding @Shaunie.   <3

Sometimes space and time is the cure, but all it is, is Support, Passion, Love and Belief.

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey @maddie050 much like Shaunie I was diagnosed when I was sectioned, I fought against the diagnosis so much cause It felt like someone telling me my personality was flawed but that's not the case at all.

therapy really helped/helps me learn coping techniques, paired along side counselling with womans aid to help me with the trauma its a good mix :) its mainly grounding and learning how to ride out the urges/intrusive thoughts. my fav one I learnt was popping candy. another was challenging the voices but often its hard to do as they're so strong.  ive heard DBT/CBT is great for bpd but sadly they don't offer it here.

Have they put in any sort of therapy's for you? <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @maddie050

Just wanted to say it's really positive that your reaching out for support on here, we're here for you :heart:

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Hey maddie welcome back 

I was diagnosed with BPD at 18 but I didn't receive treatment untill  19. I'm 24 now and managed to stay out of the system since. DBT was a main factor in that as it really helped me to gain the skills that I desperately needed to live a full filling and managble life. I may have wobbles every now and again but they're no where near what they used to be thanks to treatment and medication. 

Receiving the diagnosis was hard, everything that I had read made it sounds like I was a terrible person when really, it wasn't the case. Don't worry about the diagnosis too much, it only useful when accessing treatment otherwise don't let it define you 😉
  • Options
    Thanks @BubblesGoesBoo for sharing all of that. And yes I thought it was saying that too.

And the urges/intrusive thoughts are really hard to cope with. And they haven’t taught me any coping techniques or helped me to control them. I haven’t got any therapy for it, nor counselling. I don’t feel as I feel they’re doing much. All my consultant said to me was that they are trying to get me out of here, and find me somewhere to go (as im in foster care now too)... but my bestie said to me that they shouldn’t let me go, and that’s they should keep me a lot longer. To be honest, I do need to stay longer, I have not got any better, but I won’t say that to them. I’ll allow them to let me go. So my planned discharge is the 31st. <3 have a good day. <3

Hey @Stephanie, thanks for coming on and checking on me. I’m doing alright at the moment. Just some ups and downs. I have therapy leave on Monday (going out with two members of staff) but it might not happen due to the corona virus, as they want to minimise the risk she of it coming into the hospital... but that is to be discussed. I do hope I can still go. Hope you are doing okay. Have a good day. <3

Hey @Salix_alba_2019, thank you for the welcome back. I’m sorry that you didn’t get your treatment quick enough, I wouldn’t last even a year. I’m glad that you’ve managed to stay out of the system for a while, that should be something to be proud of. Thank you for your wisdom-like words. And i’m Sorry that it was difficult to receive your diagnosis. I’ve always been like this, so it’s took a while for people to notice something. But you got there in the end, and received the diagnosis, must’ve been quite a journey. Have a nice day. Take care. <3

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Maddie! 

I hope you're doing okay <3 are you still in hospital or getting discharged on Tuesday? 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley