Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cutting out dairy from my diet

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
So before i say anything i should probably say this is not a weight lose diet so please do not report this. While i may obviously lose weight its not my intention. I do have anorexia and my plan is to restrict my food but this is NOT one of my ways. I have a very specific reason for this. 

Im not gunna say the exact reason why im starting this but it is my last attempt to see if it makes any difference to my embarrassing problem i wont say - and hoping that doesnt make it obvious as to what it is cause ive read there are actually loads of reasons, some not as obvious.

So the things i do eat when my family give it to me is
- milk
-chocolate
- cheese

So im wondering if anyone else is on a dairy free diets? And doesnt like every food contain some dairy? And how do i do it without people knowing? 

And jsut its gunna be really hard cause when my family does suddenly realise im really really underweight they feed me everything with dairy to fatten me up - like hot chocolate - tries to make me eat cholocate - tells me to have load of mayo and cheese - on my dinner ect

its already really hard cause i have chooclate left for christmas and my plan is to never eat chocolate again and i don’t know what im gnna do if they give it to me. 
I don't really decide what I eat cause no money  I just eat what my family give me so idk how will do it 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hiya @Shaunie

I think dairy intolerances are actually quite common and there are ways that you can cut out dairy and still eat healthily - this article on BBC good food is quite good and gives you some alternatives:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-dairy-free

Hope that helps!
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I dont think im intolerant. I dont think thats the problem. I should just not have dairy. But thank you will have a look!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited January 2020
    Im not allergic or intolerence. Just incase think that. Its something else. I cant explain lol. But yeah no doctor but have googled a lot and its something else. Theres just suppose to be many health benefits with cutting out dairy

But the website is helpful

tho im already low of vitamin D
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Shaunie

There are many benefits to cutting out diary but it's a personal preference really. It depends how strict you want to be with it, whether it's cutting out just main source diary products or including things that may contain milk or milk powder.

It might be of benefit to talk to your family about it and give your reason why to help them understand better (if you're comfortable to). There are other foods groups which help with weight gain so maybe you could give them an alternative if they are concerned. 

With people not knowing, I imagine it might be difficult for people not finding out you've cut out diary. But if you're concerned about them finding out the reason, you may just tell them you've stopped or are trying to stop consuming diary to explore the benefits rather than saying your reason. 

Just a little advice, as with making dietary changes, it's always good to make a slow transition as you are less likely to go back than when cutting it out cold turkey.
    edited January 2020
    Thank you but not working 😭😭😭😭😭and cant tell my family cause theyd think its a weight loss thing.or eating disorder thing And never will say the reason

and its hard to hide and pretend ive eaten the dairy. Thats the hardest to hide. Cause not always  hard food. And put cheese on my dinner. 

Sooooo the Internet says dehydration can make it worse (embarrasingProblem) and i forget to drink or iust dont. And def never drink near the correct amount. So want to try but forget or i feel kinda disgustimg from water but i need to try cause affecting so much:(
    And my family are saying im too skinny aswell so i dont think would work if said that now. Maybe need to put some weight on and then say it. I don’t know im really fed up
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie, 

I haven't personally cut out dairy altogether but have mostly cut out milk to do a small small part for environment (watched one too many documentaries about cows being bad for it!!). I have soy milk in tea and cereal now which I've found people are pretty accepting of. Might be less worrying for your family if you could replace dairy with an alternative product and they do all kinds of milks/cheeses... even Galaxy does a vegan choccie bar now. Don't know if that helps at all?

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend