Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression

hydrangeahydrangea Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
I've suspected that I have depression for years now, but I've never received help for it because I've never had it "bad enough" apparently. But now I'm 19 and it's just getting worse and worse - I feel like shit every single day, my head and my throat constantly hurt from the sadness, I cry several times every day. I'm so alone. I'm going to die alone.

I need to go see a GP when I go home from uni for Christmas. But I'm scared I'll get turned away again like I did 4 years ago. How do I get them to see how much I'm suffering?
I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable, reserve my right to be afraid
I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way
I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan
Cast your stones, cast your judgement, you don't make me who I am.

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey, sorry you're feeling this way. Do you know if theres a GP at uni? Theres a few reasons I ask. It's better to get the help you need sooner than later, and in my experience the doctors that see a lot of students are more receptive to issues regarding mental health.
  • Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    edited November 2019
    It sounds like you are feeling isolated and depressed. University can be a stressful time and it can sometimes reveal or make existing mental health problems worse. 

Like @Spook98 said,  it could be better for you if you get in touch with someone sooner rather than waiting to go home. I imagine you are at Uni most of the year, so it might be helpful to get in touch with your GP there so they can provide sustained and continuous support.

Have you thought about getting in touch with student support services? The university you attend will most likely have a dedicated team of professionals who can help you so it might be worth speaking to someone there. Not only can they potentially help with your depression but they can also organise arrangements to help make your life at university easier. I know my university offers flexible deadlines for students with mental health problems to make sure they have the same opportunities as everyone else.  It isn't one or the other either. You can receive help from both student support and your GP.

Let us know how you get on.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey, just checking in to see how you're doing? and if you've managed to make an appointment yet? <3  

' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    cal192cal192 Posts: 17 Settling in
    I was in the same boat as you. I kept getting turned away. But it was because I was too scared to tell them everything going on in my head. Even the worst thoughts of depression. But eventually I just told the gp and immediately got offered either meds or councelling. I went for medication and I feel so much better. 
    Good luck and make sure you look after yourself. Take care of yourself. 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Its good to keep on going and going to keep saying how bad you feel and they can hear. Instead of just trying once and if go more than once then they can kinda hear you more. I hope everythings okay & let us know how things go. Good to seek help x
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @hydrangea

Sorry to hear you are hurting. 

Not being "bad enough" shouldn't be a reason not to be able to get help, it sickens me when professionals say such a thing. 

I agree with everything that has been said, some very useful tips, definitely good idea to be as honest as you can so they can understand better. If there's something you struggle saying out loud maybe you could write it down and show the GP it instead of saying. 

If they don't give you help then being persistent can help just to show how much it is affecting you. If someone close to you knows how you feel or sees it, maybe if they go to the appointment with you and tell the GP how it's affected you it might help give another insight.

In the last year or two mental health has been in the spotlight more so hopefully your GP will recognise and give you the support you need.