Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New Prime Minister

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,783 Master Poster
The results have come in from the very long feeling process of choosing a new prime minister after Theresa May resigned (thank goodness!) 

The new prime minister is Boris Johnson. What does everyone think of this?

Swear words are allowed but keep it reasonable. Please try and avoid the c word. ;)
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    edited July 2019
    I'm off to Switzerland, they seem to be a lot nicer to the gays then that man and his political party that want to bring back conversations therapy, 

Meanwhile my dad is other the moon as that man said that higher earning people will have less of their wages going into taxes which we all know that he can't stick to, 

He's making promises that he can't stick to and as soon as people see that, then I can say I told you so

Just before anyone asks, I'm not moving to Switzerland yes it is a nice and pretty country but I don't want to learn French and it was just a inside joke between me and my mum. 

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,783 Master Poster
    Aidan said:
    92,153 people voted for our PM out of the ~47 million people eligible to vote... the departure of a PM should trigger a general election.
    It wasn't a general election. It was parliament.  Us humans couldn't vote.  OK OK I am too young like other members of The Mix.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Boris is a cunt in my eyes. I hate politics. Boris will just carry on making a joke of our country.
    Time to move to a different country.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    Aidan said:
    92,153 people voted for our PM out of the ~47 million people eligible to vote... the departure of a PM should trigger a general election.
    I get where you're coming from @Aidan, but I'd argue we vote for parties in the UK, not PMs. The US is a bit different where your vote is entirely on a person and their ability to run the country, then congressional voting happens in the midterms. But in the UK, it arguably shouldn't be an issue if a party leader changes, because the majority that party has doesn't change. You elect your local MP and then that party votes for its leader, not the general public. That's the system we use.

I'm not a fan of Boris or Theresa in the slightest, but this is something that keeps coming into my mind when people talk about a general election. It doesn't really make sense to me, personally.

That's not to say you can't think the system should be changed - that's an entirely valid view. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    All these views that everyone has are valid. I don't judge anyone for their views.

Personally, I don't like Boris Johnson. But he is better than Theresa May. I hope he doesn't cause so much drama with brexit like Theresa May has.

GreenTea said:
    Boris is a cunt in my eyes. I hate politics. Boris will just carry on making a joke of our country.
    Time to move to a different country.
    I agree with you that he is a cunt and that politics is something to be hated. My friends say that politicians are all liars and idiots. Even my dance teacher agreed with me and my friends when we asked her about her opinion ages ago. Do you realise that moving to another country will be very difficult and expensive?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    edited August 2019
    Aidan said:
    Tresemmé
    ahahahah, okay, this made me laugh (and took me a few minutes to get...)

I see what you mean - when they're a state leader it feels like something you should have a say over. But to be fair, if you're voting for a party based on its leader, I'd argue you're thinking about the UK political system in the wrong way.

It's like when Labour got annihilated in that election a few cycles ago (whenever that was), and it seemed to be mostly because people didn't like Ed Milliband. That's pretty wild to me, when the party's manifesto is what should decide your vote.

Also, I would argue that a general election would be too extreme of a response to a PM's resignation. If the party you voted for got elected, the PM resigned, then an election were triggered that removed that party from power, would you still feel it's fair?

Your local MP isn't to blame for the PM's resignation too, and doesn't change with new leadership, so it would seem very unfair on the hardworking local MPs who actually are trying to do good, as it could cheat them out of their hard work if the election swings another way.

Feels like it breaks the system a bit, and could potentially be an incentive for politicians to pressure the PM to resign to trigger an election. A process like that could be dangerous if abused.

Interested to hear more of your thoughts on it though @Aidan. I might not be giving the actual PM enough credit for the amount of difference they make to government, but I can't see a way of implementing something like that without it being super problematic in other ways.
    Post edited by JustV on
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Ahhh @mike I shall assume you’ve never seen the twitter thread (if you have twitter ) of Teresa  may as bottles of tresessme 😂 

I must admit I don’t know much about politics but everything I’ve heard about boris Johnson is bad but like I said I know literally nothing about politics , I can’t never keep up or get my head around those things 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,874 Extreme Poster
    Theresa may and Boris Johnson are both complete twats. Infact most politicians are and we are all doomed. Our country is going to shit. Tories have been in power too long and apart from my personal hate for them, that is not good for the country. We need a change in government but I personally believe that labour will never win a GE with Jeremy Corbyn leading them. Oh well, with climate change going the way it is we will probably be wiped out by a natural disaster soon 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Mike said:
    Aidan said:
    I get where you're coming from @Aidan, but I'd argue we vote for parties in the UK, not PMs.
    We don't even vote for parties. We live in a Parliamentary Democracy and vote for individuals to represent us in Parliament. 

We never vote for cabinet positions including Prime Minister. If you want to have a say in who becomes leader of a particular political party, then you have to join that party.
    Weekender Offender 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Aidan said:

Politics hurts my brain that there are too many layers and middle-men; the way you vote for someone who votes for someone who votes for something. There's nothing a normal person can do to affect most decisions that happen in Westminster.

That sounds very much like the EU
    Weekender Offender