Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

VO5 Summer of Love Series: Body Positivity

chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
edited June 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Supported by:

Our bodies aren’t just there to look good. When it comes down to it, they’re transport: a vehicle to laugh, jump, cry, live and breathe. That’s the underlying theme in the body positivity movement currently challenging the idea that thin, white, abled bodies are the standard that we should all aspire to. 

In recent years, the beauty industry has been trying to catch up to this newfound positivity. ASOS feature models with vitiligo and cellulite on their website; Primark included an amputee in a recent ad campaign; Dove launched the Dove Self-Esteem project aiming to improve the health of young girls with poor body image. 

While there’s still a long way to go and, while the beauty industry tries to undo some of the damage it’s done, by deviating from a Eurocentric standard of beauty, we’re finally taking a step in the right direction. Here is a great interview with writer and plus-size blogger Stephanie Yeboah, talking about fat acceptance and mental health:

(TW for discussions of disordered eating)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/23/the-rise-of-the-body-neutrality-movement-if-youre-fat-you-dont-have-to-hate-yourself 

Here at The Mix we’ve also chatted to Bodykind Festival founder, Dinah Gibbons, about body acceptance:
What impact has the body positivity movement had on your body image? Are there any activists in particular that you follow? What things do you do to stay positive about your body? 

Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2023
    Has made me feel more comfortable in my skin. 

And i work in retail in the kids older boys section & they have a picture of a boy model with Vitiligo and ive heard interesting convos about it. Where kids have seen it and some even laugh and said it to their parents asking why he is there and ive heard the parents say really lovely positive things about how everyone should be comfortable in their skin & model and that everyone is unique and how is a skin condition. And its actually really nice to hear them being told that by just their shopping trip and them change their tone. And just nice to be around that positivity of how everyones unique
    Post edited by JustV on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    That's fantastic, @Shaunie! It's always super reassuring to know that everyone struggles with body image and confidence - and that we're not alone. I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable in your skin <3

It's really good to hear that Primark are being so inclusive when choosing their models, even more reassuring to hear that it's starting a dialogue between parents and their children. You're right that everyone is unique - no two bodies are the same and we should celebrate all bodies for doing what they were designed for!
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I completely agree that we are finally taking a step in the right direction, and I am so excited to see what the future holds for body positivity. Really great articles too that I would recommend to anyone! 

Although she is not an activist as such, I really admire GracefitUK. She has a really positive approach to caring for our bodies, setting our own goals and being happy just the way we are. She gave me the confidence to not only work on the things I might like to change, but most importantly to learn to love myself the way I am. 

When used the right way, I think social media, and marketing as you mentioned, can actually be really positive for body confidence! 
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular

Hey @chubbydumpling

I love this! Finally we are taking a step in the right direction where we can start to embrace who we really are - flaws and all! Hooray!

I follow a wonderful Body Positivity and Mental Health activist called Bryony Gordon on Instagram - she's absolutely fab. I found out about her because I listen to Ferne Cotton's Happy Place podcast which is equally wonderful and I highly recommend it - she talks to people about all things mental health and body positivity!

• Options
    Hey @Han93

I've never actually listened to Ferne's podcast but I'll definitely give it a look - I love consuming media that way. I did just start following Bryony on Twitter though! I'm excited for her content.