Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weekly Challenge #94 #MHAW19

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Image may contain one or more people

Hey everyone,

For Mental Health Awareness Week this week, I thought it would be great to do a challenge around this year's theme body image.

Body image issues can affect us at any age and it can be hard to focus on how we can feel good about our bodies. Your challenge this week is to share your top tips and advice for someone struggling with body image and how they can overcome negativity and feel great about their body.

If you have any tips, articles, quotes or resources that you think might help someone struggling, please share them below. 

If you have any ideas for the next weekly challenge, head over to this thread to share them. Remember to vote on next week's challenge ideas. :) 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Weekly Challenge #94 #MHAW19 3 votes

Inspirational movie challenge
66% 2 votes
Express your opinion online challenge
33% 1 vote
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Appreciate everything your body can do. I may not be happy with my weight restored body but I am happy that this body gives me the energy to do stuff, I can play games with my nephew, I can run, I can sit without being in pain. I remember how hard it was to gain weight, but even though I have gained weight, I also gained life again. 

As someone who suffers with BDD .. something my therapist said was in bad body image days is to take a photo of myself, what I see in the mirror is different to what I see in a photo.

I also have a list of 10 things my friends like about me, personality wise not physical, I read it when I'm struggling cause beauty is so much more than just your body. Once I've read the list I become more confident within myself and it shows. 'beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body' 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2019
    I’ve recently found a few positive body image instergram accounts and for someone who really does ( and quite a lot lately ) hates the way she looks and how much she weighs I really do find them uplifting.

In still learning to love me and having a Ed on top can really take its toll when it make you see every bit that wrong with you and I tend to focus on them so the theme of MHAW this year is a difficult one for me but seeing all of positive things and how other people have struggled and learned to accept themselves has really helped.

So I guess my piece even though I’m not  there yet is to accept yourself for who you are , you are beautiful no matter what and our individual quirks are what makes us special so embrace them, show them off and don’t let anyone tell you any different. 

But this is on of my fav ones from one of the accounts 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Thanks so much for sharing @BubblesGoesBoo and @Millie2787 your advice and tips are so great! 

I wanted to share this article our amazing content team have written about why we need more body kindness in our lives. Check it out when you have a chance :) 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤