Home Work & Study It's Exam Time The Class of The Past
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam/ Deadline Season Tips!

MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
edited April 2021 in The Class of The Past
Hey guys,

Its that time of year again  :'( I find exam/deadline season really tough and I know a lot of other people do too.

I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to share some tips about how to cope with the stress?

Some of my tips are:

• set yourself mini goals e.g. covering a particular topics or writing X number of words and celebrate the small achievements

• think about your goals and why you need to revise/work e.g. to get a grade, a particular job, on to a course etc

• when it all gets a bit much, think about how the worst case scenario is usually just a resit, which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things

• take time for yourself! Stressing yourself out too much does not do any good

I hope you will share some of your tips too  :)

Good luck everyone!
Post edited by Emma_ on

Comments

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Great thread idea, @MsBingo!

I'd like to add that studying alone can often be really stressful and isolating, and can get counterproductive if you sit panicking all day. A good idea is to get together a study group or set up some kind of group chat to exchange notes. 

Last year for one of my modules at uni, the class set up a google doc that we could all access and edit our notes in. That was a really helpful tool, and we could fill in gaps if anyone missed certain topics. 
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Great thread idea! I know it took me a long time to figure out what worked for me when it comes to studying.

It might seem simple, but it can help to plan your revision. I have a calendar that tells me what to revise on what day. Before I start my revision for the day, I set out exactly what I want to cover and read. I find the structure of that plan really helps me achieve my goals.

Make sure you look over past papers if they are available for your course. Answering old exam questions is a great way to put your knowledge to the test. Don't worry if you can't answer a question fully, it just means you know what to focus on and revise next! A lot of tutors/lecturers/teachers will happily look over your mock answers and give you feedback as well.

Good luck with exams everyone!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Hello! This is a great thread.

I am not good at doing hours straight, so I find long-ish car journeys useful to put in 30 minutes, so then you know you are rewarded with a day out or shopping! I love revision timetables. ❤️

I love flashcards especially with pictures and annotations that you blank out on one side, as I am a very visual learner. (See blurry pic) 

For GCSEs, GCSE Pod is great as you can download 'pods' to watch in the car or in 5-minute breaks. 

Top Tip: I know this works for some, but I tried rewarding myself with sweets during revision and I found it really addictive to stop after as when I did assignments that did not need motivation, I would still want sweets. (And I just felt guilty and fat)

Thanks and good luck! 

My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    edited May 2019
    This is a great thread!

I follow this account on Instagram which has lots of positive quotes and there was a post that I saw today with some really great tips for exams. 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    My top tip is to give yourself a break. I know it seems like we should lock ourselves in our room all day and revise but I think breaks are so important to keep us motivated and sane. Whether that’s having a cuppa and sitting on the sofa for 15 mins, going outside for a short walk or stepping away from your revision notes and reading a fictional book. Set yourself small, achievable targets and once you reach them treat yourself to a break! 

Also drink lots of water and eat good healthy food - healthy body and healthy mind!