Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do I mention my SH relapse to the doctor?

clairet85clairet85 Posts: 1 Just got here
edited March 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
I'm a self harmer, I do it for control.  After years in an abusive relationship I've been free from that for about 7 years. But it haunts me, and I like to realise I'm the one still in control.  Lately, I haven't been and relapse on the harming front. My husband hasn't found out yet  but I'm sure that it's only a matter of time. I'm at the doctors on Monday about a back injury.  Do I mention my relapse or not?

[Moved by moderator, and title edited]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2019
    Heyy

welcome! So glad youre seeking help here and that youre thinking about seeking help from your doctor. Do you think maybe you could make a new seprate appotinment for it (just thinking may not get much time if speaking about your back injury). 

You have been hurt so much already - you dont deserve to hurt your self too:(. Id like to think that there are better ways to feel more in control. & hope you get the support for it. We are all here aswell  <3

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    littlegemzlittlegemz Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    Stay strong. Tell the doctor and get the help you need. Talk to your husband he is your partner and vowed to help in times of sickness xx
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    edited March 2019
    Welcome to the community, @clairet85. :) Awesome to have you.

Just a heads up that I've moved this post over to Health & Wellbeing as it sounds like you're after a supportive discussion around this. I've also edited the title to be a bit more descriptive of your post (I realise the other one was automatic, so no worries about that).

It's also worth mentioning that we're primarily a community for people under 25, so the information you find around here might not be entirely relevant, but you're still welcome to stay and talk.

@littlegemz and @Shaunie have given some great suggestions here, and I just wanted to add that it's really positive that you've got the self-awareness to identify where your urge to self-harm comes from. Relapse is a natural part of a journey through recovery, so it's great that you're keeping yourself open to support around it.

Also, massive well done for getting out of the abusive relationship - never an easy thing to do. :) 

It's been a few days since you posted this - did you end up seeing the doctor or talking to your husband?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.