Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should laxatives have the same restrictions as paracetamol?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Basically I a going to write a petition on how there needs to be some restriction on when buying laxatives in supermarkets. I just need honest answers and  reassurance not the only who thinks this before I write it cause I dont wanna look stupid. 

Atm anyone can buy them and how many they want without being questioned. Long term use can be really dangers and can kill people and give complications. And people use as method to lose weight or could easily get dependant on it either way. Personally if I was asked for my ID everytime i went into sainsburys self checkout I just wouldn't get it as would feel too embarrassed and if there was a limit on how many can buy I would of realise how dangers they was years ago before got dependant on them and wouldn't buy as much. 

This is the lastest news of where they are saying they should do it but been says it for years and nothing changes
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-45624471
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Should laxatives have the same restrictions as paracetamol? 11 votes

I agree
90%
independent_MaisyJellyelephantSienaLainechubbydumplingKathleen07PianoGal0301littlegemzAnch0r33 10 votes
Disagree
0%
Not sure
9%
Past User 1 vote
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    I agree
    Dunno what others think but I agree with you :-) I do think it'd be better for them to have restrictions. Some people could really hurt themselves. Not to mention it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that there'd be restrictions on paracetamol but not laxatives.

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I agree
    I do agree but think maybe we should restrict people from buying more than one? 

Being ID'ed worries me a little because then some people can't get them and will have to go to their GP when they might be too embarrassed, or have to pay for prescriptions(£8) and wind up paying more than a shop) 

I don't know if that makes sense just my rambling :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I agree
    I definitely agree, I don't think people should be allowed to buy more than one or 2 packs at a time. This would enable people who need them medically to buy enough, but would prevent people from buying an extremely dangerous amount. Given that most laxatives are not recommended for young children, I think there should be a minimum age to buy them as well, perhaps 12 or 16. Paracetamol is not age restricted in every shop though so this may end up being the same. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I agree
    Thank you all for sharing your opinions
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I agree
    I think they shouldn't be as easily accessable as they are - not sure whether a limit would work. I did wonder if it may help if they were only kept behind the counter at a chemist? That way the people who really need them would be able to explain and access them, but it would limit people who perhaps would use them in a harmful way? Not sure if that would work but just a thought.
    The sun will rise and we will try again