Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm Bi

PianoGal0301PianoGal0301 Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
Hi all,
I came out to my mum yesterday as Bisexual, she was lovely but I can't tell my dad. That's okay for now. It's all a bit new to me any one who feels similar I would love if you could give some advice?
Thanks,
Pxx ❤

Comments

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hi there @PianoGal0301 ! Congratulations and well done! 

I'm really glad your mum was supportive. Was there anything in particular you're worried about in terms of how your dad will react? 

I came out a long time ago, at 14. For the most part, my friends and family were very supportive. My only advice is to only come out to people when you're ready. Don't feel pressured. 
  • PianoGal0301PianoGal0301 Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    Hi @chubbydumpling!
    Thank you so much for replying, I'm only 15 and it was a massive for me, I'm worried he won't agree with it also I have a few mental health issues which he has struggled\struggling to cope with and I'm not sure how he would cope with something else new. My mum has been amazing and really supportive which I was so happy about. Only she and one other friend knows at the moment but hopefully in time I will be able to open up to others :-) 
    Thank you so much for replying! 
    Pxx
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    You're welcome @PianoGal0301

An even bigger well done for talking so openly about your sexuality at such a young age! I can relate to your struggle. My dad and I, unfortunately, haven't had the best relationship. He's one of the only people I'm not out to. He also struggles with my mental health diagnosis, as a lot of my issues stem from things that happened in my childhood. 

But it's not all bad. We're currently attending family therapy together, and I plan to tell him soon once we've resolved some of our other issues. Maybe you and your mum could suggest you all attend a few sessions together with a counsellor. A lot of men struggle with talking openly about their feelings, even with their families. Your dad might just need a little bit of extra support and guidance to open up. 

Good luck, and feel free to revisit these concerns with me any time :)
  • PianoGal0301PianoGal0301 Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    Thanks @chubbydumpling ❤, sorry to hear that - hopefully the family therapy will help you, I hope I'm time to be able to come out to him maybe when I've got a better grip on everything. I hope things work out for you :-)  
    Please do message me at anytime you want a chat!
    💖 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited February 2019
    I don't have any personal experience, but wanted to drop in and say this is awesome - good on you @PianoGal0301. :) Really glad it went so well with your mum.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Well done @PianoGal0301 :grin:

My only advice would be to take your time and tell others only if you want to and are ready.
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    1. Congrats, I'm so glad she was comfortable and supportive about this 2. Take your time talking to your dad, don't feel pressured. If it isn't the right time yet, don't worry about it. You'll find the right moment eventually and hopefully your dad will be okay with it then 3. I am in a similar 
    Situation right now. My friends and little sister are aware that I'm bisexual but I'm not ready to tell my dad yet. Whenever I talk to my friends about it, it seems like they're trying to pressure me into it. It's super annoying but I know it's not on purpose. And whenever I bring it up they tell me to calm down and stop overreacting. UGGGHHHHH
    Hey @LuluSlider, just closing this thread as it's very old, and we tend not to bump threads that have been inactive for over about a month. It's good to check the date of the last post in a discussion before posting on it.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.