Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help with anxiety and depression?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or personal experience that might be able to help me with what I’ve been going through as I know that lots of people feel the same/similarly. 
About a year ago I went to be doctors and got given medication for panic attacks and anxiety. I think I’ve always been a very anxious person, particularly in certain situations, but I experienced a few different things at the same time which really affected me emotionally and made this a lot worse. I’ve now also been taking antidepressants for about 8 months, although I’m not sure if I’ve seen that much of an improvement in my mood since taking them, should it be an obvious change? 
I guess I’m just wondering what other people have found helps them to cope better and deal with their feelings, particularly in terms of anxiety. I’m very conscious that I don’t want to let these things impact on my life anymore than they have already and I don’t want them to stop me from doing things, do you think that could happen? 
I got referred by my GP and put on a waiting list for some counselling but I’ve been feeling to anxious, unmotivated and I guess down to respond to the calls and make an appointment, which I know is stupid because I should be grateful for the opportunity of some help, because I don’t want to keep on feeling like this. 
I don’t want to have to take medication forever and I want to be able to cope with things normally like other people do but I’m just not really sure how or if I’ll ever be able to manage this. 
Thankyou for taking the time to read my post and I’d really appreciate any advice you could give me or anything you’ve learned through your own experiences:)

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey :)

I'm not sure how much help this will be as i'm still struggling with these things too, but some things I have learnt to help my anxiety and depression is popping candy... it works as a grounding technique, have you tried any others that you find useful? as for depression, I know it's hard but going outside and meeting people really does help, but at the same time a day in bed can make a big difference too, just not too many! try listening to your body and seeing what it needs :)

counselling can be a big step in helping you to get better, so I really would urge you to make that appointment. it may be daunting but they're there to help you :) have you spoken to your GP about your anti-depressants? it's a trial and error thing, one might work for some people and not for others, so it's all about finding one that helps you, even if you have to try a few different ones to get there. 

Hope you start to feel better soon, and let us know how you get on! <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    an_ma_p_naan_ma_p_na Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thankyou so much for replying, you’ve been really helpful. Let me know if you ever need any help too:)
  • Options
    AdamAdam Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    Hi @an_ma_p_na ,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance, it’s not an easy task to do.

It’s normal to feel depressed, in fact of 300 million across the world have been diagnosed with depression and 150 million are also diagnosed with anxiety disorders. So you are not alone and there are several services that will help assist you in advice alongside your GP.

The Mix supplies multiple real life stories where people are also unsure on how to deal with depression. May I recommend having a look through these articles, as it may assist in finding the advice you are searching for. https://www.themix.org.uk/search/depression/

If you want to find out how to reduce the amount of anti depressants you take, NHS have a great article with steps/ advice to take: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/how-should-antidepressants-be-discontinued/

Stay strong and we are always here to help! :)
    -------------
    Adam
  • Options
    Zoroark18Zoroark18 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi @an_ma_p_na

I know this is a little late, but how are you doing?

I've had anxiety since I was a child, and it's hard to cope with. One thing which helps calm my nerves is music. I always have my headphones on and it helps me feel more relaxed, and protected. I've also had panic attacks too, and I know how scary they can be. I first started having them a few years back, when I was 15/16 and they terrified me. They restarted around a month back this year and they still scare me to this day. Taking deep breaths and not moving is something which is very useful, if possible. However, I find getting away from people or going outside to be more helpful. When I've had mine, I either go to a dark room if at home and calm down there, or I'll do outside if I'm out (or at home) and look at the sky. The mix of the cold air and space helps me feel more relaxed and safe. It's something my mom told me and it helps me a lot. 

I know with my anxiety I don't want to pick up calls, speak to people, ect. I'd much rather stay indoors and if given half the chance, I'll make up an excuse and say I'm ill to get out of something, or just ignore it all together. It doesn't help and I wouldn't recommend it, but it's what I've been doing for years and once you start with it it's hard to get out of that cycle. 

I've been told that meditation, yoga, ect may help and me and mom are looking into going to some classes next year. With anxiety you need to find something which helps you relax. Some people have  a small 'tick' they do, such as biting their nails, nibbling their lip, picking at there skin or just rubbing there hands raw. I've gone through all of these and they get worse when I'm more nervous. A stressball or a ring/necklace could help control them. Something to subconsciously mess with. 

Talking to a family member or friend could help too. I feel better when I talk to someone, even if they just listen. However, I would try and respond to those calls for a mentoring session. I know it's scary and you'd rather do nothing more but curl up under your duvet but it will help. Small steps. I've been trying to convince my mom to let my see a mentor but she's against it. One of my friends moms told me about art therapy. You could try something like that if talking to your mentor is too much? 

As for depression, I don't know as much about that, as I've only just started with it myself these past few months. I'm looking into anti-depressants myself and I know they don't "fix" you they are just supposed to "cover" your depression for a short while. But they should help a little. Though going back to your gp and telling them they aren't working could help too. With depression mentoring should help too I guess? I'm not really sure really. I guess going out and being with friends is supposed to help as well. 

Just know there is people here who care and want to know how you are doing and wish you all the best. 

-Chloe <3