Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Extremely petrified about going into 2019

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
edited December 2018 in Health & Wellbeing
Hello everyone I need help as I am feeling extremely scared about going into the new year 2019 because I am still thinking and worrying that the national service (compulsory military service) and the death penalty is going to be reintroduced or might actually come back for when Britain leaves the European Union and when some other countries in Europe like France are going to be bringing it back. Also I still think that 2019 will be a disasterous year for all of us. Also I want to be able to create a campaign about wanting conscription to be abolished in other countries as I have heard on Amnesty International that they are campaigning about a lot of things like for the death penalty to finally be abolished in other countries and that did make me feel quite happy and it gave me some hope. :'( 

Comments

• Options
    AdamAdam Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Sholay09 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us,, it's so brave of you. 

I can understand your worry here, with so many major upcoming events within the UK occurring it can be a scary process going into 2019.

Rest assured, you should not have any worry about the death penalty. It would be an unlikely law to be reintroduced without a referendum, so it would have to pass the full public vote first .:smile:

Samaritans provide non-judgemental support to subjects like yours over the phone 24/7. You can contact them for free in the UK on 116 123

Hope this helps and all the best :smile:

-----------
    Adam
  • Options
    Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Ok thank you Adam for being helpful but at least a lot of other people did say that the national service and the death penalty will never be reintroduced even if Britain is going to leave the EU and when other countries in Europe like France are bringing it back because Britain abolished the death penalty and the national service for good reason way back in the 1960s before other countries in Europe and in other continents abolished these things and before Britain joined the EU in 1973.
  • Options
    AdamAdam Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    Sholay09 said:
    Ok thank you Adam for being helpful but at least a lot of other people did say that the national service and the death penalty will never be reintroduced even if Britain is going to leave the EU and when other countries in Europe like France are bringing it back because Britain abolished the death penalty and the national service for good reason way back in the 1960s before other countries in Europe and in other continents abolished these things and before Britain joined the EU in 1973.
    I see, thankfully the European government doesn't grant access to capital punishment easily. As you mentioned previously, the regulation was abolished for good reason.

I can suggest going to the official European Parliament website, as this will contain information about regulations/laws and how they are processed. :smile:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/ 

If this is something you would like to discuss in more detail, Samaritans are great for providing information for topics such as this. :heart:

Hope this helps :smile:

----------
    Adam
  • Options
    Lauren223Lauren223 Posts: 71 Budding Regular
    Hi @Sholay09

Ditto what Adam has said <3

Politics can be really scary and overwhelming, especially when there is so much uncertainty around us. Have you been able to talk to anyone about your worries?

You've done such a great job explaining your thoughts and feelings here! We're always here to listen to you when you feel like!

Take care :)