Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Helpful tips for coping with mental illnesses

BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
Couldn't find a thread like this but wanted to share something I learnt at therapy and thought it was a good idea to make a thread about it so others can share helpful tips they've learnt as well :) it will be good for people who are struggling to look at this thread and maybe find something that will help them too. 

Something I learnt was I suffer from dissociative episodes, and something to help was setting an alarm for every hour/half hour so when I do disassociate it helps bring me back to the here and now, and it actually works!

What's something you've learnt to help you cope? :)
' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    This is a really great thread idea :heart:

So glad you've found something that helps you, that's cool

So something that helps me when I am struggling is distraction, yes, it doesn't always work but I do try. So I'll watch something I enjoy, or I'll listen to music, or go outside. 

I am going to make more of an effort to take care of my health, both physical and mental health. 

Looking forward to seeing other peoples replies. :heart: 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • MochanMochan Posts: 65 Boards Initiate
    @BubblesGoesBoo Great idea to share tips for coping. It's interesting to hear how you manage dissociative episodes by setting an alarm to bring you back into the present. It's really thoughtful to suggest a place where others can come to seek help.

Similar to @*BananaMonkey*: One thing I've found helpful to manage my own anxiety is to go for a walk outside. It doesn't have to be a park (although that is an added bonus), but just to walk near my home outdoors. It helps me reset during an episode and I can return to my flat once I feel calmer.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited December 2018
    I find using the self care bingo sheet I have ( Ill find the photo if you want it ) 
    whenever me and my  friend struggle with SH urges we paint on our arms or legs .
    i also if I’m having an sensory overload moment I sit in a dark room with earphones in and a blanket over my head 
    Post edited by Millie2787 on
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Something else I have found useful for anxiety is popping candy :) I use it as a grounding technique and always have some in my handbag! :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I second popping candy @BubblesGoesBoo !

As well as: Music for distraction or during a panic attack, or just to block out the world when you think you're having one x

Still love my deffuser bracelet and lavendar oil.

As well as my anxiety first aid portion of my backpack(might make a thread about first aid and how to make one for different things)

Breathing exercises help but you need to do them before its too late in a way x

Particular distractions help me, if i'm worried about say i think my throat is closing i sing to prove its not :) xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Something my counsellor asked me to do is write down positive thoughts or events for each day before you go to sleep so you can reflect on the good things in your life, it’s really helped me to cope with the overwhelming negative thoughts I’d experience at times and has actually lifted my overall mood. Start with one and gradually build it up, it does take time though.

Pumpkin