Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Guilty until proven innocent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If accusations you make are true then ok...but if they are not you could get a few years in prison https://www.metro.news/10-years-for-woman-who-cried-rape/721881/

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Ooh, crikey. What a case.

This really got me:
    ‘Cases such as this bring a real risk that a woman who has been raped or sexually assaulted may not complain to the police for fear of not being believed,’ Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith said as he sentenced her.

And where one of the men said the trial had ruined his life:
    Mr Cassim, 37, overturned his conviction — having served two years and nine months — after police noticed flaws in Beale’s later allegations and began investigating her.

He told her trial she ruined his life but he now wanted to ‘have a nice family and be happy’, adding: ‘I am working on the happiness — I have a long way to go.’

I do wonder what someone must be feeling inside for them to feel the need to make up such things. :no:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    It's a difficult decision I know we hear about different crimes and straight away think "scum bag!" But a recent case in my area made me feel horrible for saying that.

(True story) A woman had accused a man of raping her early hours of the morning a few months back. While the details of the guy wasn't released the amount of comments people had put on the news article such as

"Scum bag"
    "He should be shot!"
    "Someone needs to do to him what he did to that woman."

You get the idea. I have little doubt that he saw most of the comments. Which must have be awful because;

A few weeks later with CCTV evidence and a few other things police can say for sure that the rape never took place. No charges were taken against the woman for making a false aligation.

I admittedly felt bad, Not only a were people slating that man and calling him different names and stuff but she could have ruined his life if he was mistakenly found guilty.
    It also makes other woman who have been raped or sexual assault scared to come forward.

Its a tough one because is it;

Innocent until proven guilty or
    Guilty until proven innocent.

I think wich ever way you look at it it's wrong.
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    It's always horrible to think about a person's life being ruined, either by being raped or by being falsely accused. I think that the system for reporting sexual assault and supporting it's victims could probably be improved, and this could involve creating better methods of collecting evidence.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    As rape is such a difficult case to prove, and often come dow to one person word against another, those that make false claims should be dealt with as harshly as rapists themselves.
    Weekender Offender 
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there @Skive just to say this thread is pretty old at this point so I'm gonna go ahead and close it. The boards have had a problem with old threads popping up where they shouldn't lately so it's not a big deal. If you're interested in talking more about this subject though feel free to start a new thread yourself. :)

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.