Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Constant slight struggle to breath. Strees?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
Hey,
So this has been since i was really young -on & off - so its not something that massively affects me as dont notice it all the time cause is normal. But others sometimes notice it & tell me to go to doctors

I have been doctors a few times for it  - when i was bout 10. They tested me for astma then said no so said im okay. I went back when about 13 they just passed it off as stress. Went when 16 and they said its possible stress but wanted me to go to walk in centre for chest X-ray but i never went for some reason. 

Does anyone else get constant struggle to breath related to stress? It does come when i feel more stressful times & i dont mean im constantly having a panic attack, i just have to suddenly keep taking deep breaths as feels like something on my chest and sometimes have to keep deep breathing til i feel caught my breath. Which gets so much worser when im eating & i do have anorexia so maybe stress from food aswell. But it feels like something is wrong with my heart & some stress makes it worse. But i dont think stress on its own is causing it. If makes sense. As get heart palutations aswell.

I dont know if anyone else gets that from stress?

I wanna make appiontment with my gp to rule out any physical problem soon but get so stressed ringing. Ironic. Just cant handle stress
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Shaunie :)

I've had shortness of breath during anxious or stressy times for as long as I can remember.

I did get tested while younger and the doctor said I was fine. 
    I recently got tested again and came back fine but was given an inhaler to try I've used it ever since up until now. 
    I found the inhaler isn't actually helping as when I hold it to my mouth(and not pump)  I can breathe better usually perfectly. 

If you want to make another appointment it's definitely worth while, I've discovered mine was because I will breathe in using my chest,  it causes short breaths that don't feel adequate enough therefore causing you to take more frequent breaths from this you may feel chest pain as its not used for breathing.

I'm not an expert so my best advice is to try some breathing exercises and see if they help, if belly breathing doesn't help or you just want a professionals opinion absolutely see your GP(i get super stressed ringing too, these days I walk up which isn't great when your appointment is within an hour and you need to go back up again but it helps) 

We're all here if you need anything and I hope I could help a little x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    Here's an article I found about breathing difficulties and anxiety and stress: https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/shortness-of-breath-anxiety-symptoms.shtml

This one so mentions anxiety rather than stress but has breathing exercises that may be helpful to give a quick try and see how they improve or do not improve things: https://www.anxieties.com/57/panic-step4#.W3obM8nTXqA

And this article has a few tips for lowering stress: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201702/how-reduce-stress

Best wishes :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @Shaunie it might be airborne pollen and you might have a reaction to it. Ask your doctor.
  • Options
    Oh yeah I definitely forgot about pollen I have hayfever when pollen counts high I'm on two antihistamines a day because the reaction is bad. 

The pollen count overall is nice and low and I believe it will stay that way however the air is very muggy and thick I find so it's worth buying some cheapo antihistamines(get like asdas or Wilkos own loratadine it works just as well as the branded stuff and doesn't cost your arm)  :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    Thank yous! Ah i take anthistamine, because it helps with my sleep. But dont think thats improved it any bit. So i think maybe should make doctors appiontment and ots stressing me more out the more i think im like dying of heart problems then its gets worse. So maybe if they tell me i dont have heart problem then atleast maybe get stressed. But i dont wanna waste their time
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    You won't Shaunie figure out whats terrifying you from this and then you go from there.

I asked for my blood pressure taking, oxygen levels and they gave me an ECG to rule owt else out.

It's definitely made me calmer and despite having this shortness of breath and slight chest for 3 weeks I'm calm because it's been 3 weeks and I'm still going strong :)

I'm making an appointment to check for anemia just in case as that can cause shortness of breath and the stars I get in my eyes when I get up quick.

Definitely mention your fears or what you want to rule out when you get there and they will do so.

You don't have to suffer alone trust me I have the biggest anxiety I know and while they won't treat it they'll have to see me constantly over problems I may have muhaha

But yeah seriously don't feel like you're wasting time if everyone felt that we'd all be worse off I reckon :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    You can buy non-drowsy supermarket own-brand anthistamines which are best if you're driving.
  • Options
    Thank yous!

@Laine
    I actually do get anemia & low iron, sometimes too but never knew it could cause shortness of breath so maybe i should buy iron pills and see if that works. 
    @Floxy thank you for suggestions!

• Options
    I'm on iron syrup now mine is anemia my familys iron levels drop easier than others and me and my sister suffer from heavy cycles that usually does it,  

The most common symptoms me and my sister gets is chest pain, shortness of breath and low blood pressure pressure upon standing(you get stars in your eyes) 

Hemoglobin enables your red blood cells to carry oxygen around the body.

When hemoglobin is low in your body during iron deficiency, oxygen levels will also be low. This means your muscles won’t get enough oxygen to do normal activities, such as walking.

As a result, your breathing rate will increase as your body tries to get more oxygen.

This is why shortness of breath occurs. 

In the need for extra oxygen you can breath using your chest which will hurt it. 

As for Orthostatic hypotension this can occur from anemia as while standing you need to get adequate oxygen to your brain, getting that oxygen requires three factors and the most common is getting enough blood and fluid, anemia is a common cause.

So it's definitely worthwhile getting it checked out :)

Here's some anemia symptoms so you can check them off x

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/iron-deficiency-signs-symptoms#section3

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    edited August 2018
    Hello, 

Having anorexia puts your body under stress as it finds it harder to get enough nutrition to function at its best. Having less energy means your lungs have to work a little harder to get oxygen around your body, but with the lack of food going into your body they are put under stress trying to work. Have you thought about speaking to a dietrition? They could give you advice about which foods to eat to help your body get the fuel it needs, or even tell you which vitamins you could take as tablets to make up for the lack of food. 

Other than that most of my ideas have already been written down, anaemia can be helped by getting more iron. Fish, spinach, beans, lentils, red meat, turkey or broccoli are all healthy foods to help you eat more iron, or you could get some iron supplements. Which ever you do, its good to get some professional advice first as too much iron will not do you any good.  :) 

Try to record why it happens so that you can tell a doctor more details about your breathing, and as this has been going on for a while perhaps think about rebooking that x-ray. Better safe than sorry :) 

Hope you are well
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Options
    Humidity doesn't help breathing either. It's the time of the year.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thank you so much @Laine @Floxy and @Eyepatch , definetly consider there’s things for my appiontment:)

Im actually so pleased with my self that Ive rang my gp just now & have an appiontment @ 11, so will post back with how it goes. I just hope it’s not a waste of their time
  • Options
    No appointment is a waste of time, @Shaunie The doc's surgery is there to help us - amazing you managed to get through at all so early in the morning - and it was brave of you for having the guts to ring your GP and make an appointment. Well done!  =)
  • Options
    Hey,

so I jus had this appiontment and she said she thinks it’s anxiety. But booked me in for a chest x ray at the walk in centre to rule out anything wrong with the lungs & to clear my mind and then she said if nothing shows up then it’s anxiety. Yet I’m sure there are other things it could be - not just problem with the lungs. But she said she’s sure it’s anxiety as I seem like a tense person and that stops your breathing half way or something. & because of my eating disorder would make it worse. 

But she said I should go today to get it over & done & as after 7 days it gets cancelled. But I really can’t be bothered so maybe tomorrow

but for some reason straight  after the appiontment has a miss call from them. So now wondering what wanted to say:/
  • Options
    Hey Shaunie,  struggle with breathing is generally down to anxiety or lungs nothing else so a chest X-ray will rule out any problems, I had a chest X-ray and blood tests etc to rule out anything else and that's when I knew it was anxiety.

It very likely won't be anything bad but if you check and rule things out it will calm you down.  

Can you ring them back and see what it was?  I'm sure if they were really worried they'd ring again or leave a voicemail x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    It's great that they are doing an x-ray just in case, plus if there is nothing wrong with your lungs physically then you will have some peace of mind :) 

It's okay to ring them back, it was probably just them confirming an appointment time. You can ring and say, hello I received a missed call and they will probably ask for your name and then tell you why they called :) But it is probably best to ring them back, or ask someone to ring on your behalf if you feel nervous about it. 

I hope everything goes well :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thank you. I went for a chest x Ray this morning. And he was like make an appiontment with your gp on tuesday. So now I’m like im thinking there is something wrong. As my gp jus said she would ring to say results. @Laine did they tell you to make an appiontment with gp when you’ve been to x rays? & something they probs say to everyone. 

Post edited by Siena on
  • Options
    @Shaunie
    It could just be they want to explain how it went, and tell you to avoid X-rays within the next year as to many of them can cause harm. It could also be they want to know who your old Doctor was, if they discovered you do have asthma then they might want his name as he didn't diagnose you correctly all those years ago.

Doctors like to be curtain as if anything goes wrong they get the blame, when the mark on my face flared up they checked it and said it was fine but I had to come back in a few weeks anyway just in case. I was worried there was something wrong but it was just so they could double check and make sure nothing had gotten worse. 

Perhaps they want to ask you some breathing related questions, like do you smoke, or are you in a smoke or sawdust heavy environment. Just so they can find out why you sometimes have trouble breathing. 

Try to say relaxed, do things that calm you so that worrying doesn't stress you out all the time. How about treating yourself to a relaxing bath or watch your favourite film? 

I hope everything goes okay, update us whenever you like :)
  • Options
    They didn't because I was in A and E and not near my doctors they prescribed me antibiotics right there. 

In the past when I've had a chest X-ray they've panicked me telling me to make an appointment with my GP next day when it turns out it was just an infection so don't panic yet x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Thank you.
    I Just got a text a text message saying my x Ray results are normal. Ffs there is something wrong with me and was kinda hoping something would show up. Cause  I don’t think is anxiety. My brain can’t make my breathing so bad 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭. Now what. I just fucking dying all the time cause I can barely breath
  • Options
    Chest X-ray being clear is good although I know how you feel when mine was I was super scared. 

Have they made you an appointment for a blood test? 
    If not I'd go up to your GP and ask for one with the nurse I just got my results back and I am anemic which is what's causing my orthostatic hypotension chest pain and shortness of breath. 

Did they check your oxygen levels?  My doctor usually does when I go to give peace of mind so maybe you can get that checked with your blood test? 

Please don't panic a normal X-ray is a good sign it likely means it won't be down to owt sinister x

I'm always here if you need to talk,  I understand the worry :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    A peak flow test may also be a good idea x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Thank you. But you kno when i said I got a missed call. It was because she was going to ask me to book in for some blood tests but then she realised I was recently in hospital and they ended up fine. And think she did test my oxgyen. So apperently nothing physically wrong. Yet (as extreme as sounds) ive read things on internet like lung cancer might not show up on chest X Ray. I just don’t understand really.and they’re going to leave me being unable to breath. And because now my family keep mentioning it & pointing it out - I keep noticing it more now is more stressful
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    And think it’s possible I have fat around my lungs. Even tho I’m thin I’ve watched Fat Vs Thin program thingy and a thin person can have damaged organs and all fat goes to that. And think I shouldn’t eat as much. As thats probably why it’s worse when I’m eating
  • Options
    Its probably best to stay away from internet diagnostics they can make you feel very stressed as they usually show you all the rare and scary illnesses first.

As for this fat vs thin programme, it is true that thinner people can have fat around their organs, but exercising to burn it away is better for your body than eating less. If you eat to little your body could feel starved and then it will start storing fat and burning carbs, giving you less energy and less weight loss. Perhaps ask to speak to someone a the hospital about changing your diet to help you? They may even be able to check the ratio of fat in your body to test if your idea is worth looking into or not. 

Could it be you are eating too fast? This can affect your breathing, you could try slowing down next time and see if it changes anything.

Well done for going to the hospital, if you feel they are not doing enough you can always ring up and explain that your family has spotted a difference and you feel it could be getting worse. Its great that you had those tests done even if they haven't figured it out yet, it will help them rule out certain illnesses and get closer to helping you.

I hope you are feeling okay,
    Get well soon from everyone on the Mix :) 
  • Options
    If it's worsening when eating it can be reflux I know that gives me a very painful chest as the food presses on my sternum. 
    You can also get out of breath eating naturally. 

If you are worried make another doctors appointment and they can test for any breathing difficulties such as asthma.

Are you breathing normally? Only reason I ask is because I'm often breathing through my chest which damages it and makes me very short of breath. 
    I'm currently doing it right now x

In any case make another appointment if you're worried but I don't think it's anything concerning.

I'm here if you need a rant or reassurance :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈