Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What was your experience of the mental health system?

Candlestick56Candlestick56 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask, for anyone who's been through the UK mental health system, what journey did you take in terms of the services you used, and what was your experience of those services?

Thanks in advance for sharing :)

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I don't know if this counts as being in the 'system' exactly but I had something happen to me at uni which meant I struggled badly with anxiety and one of my mates recommended I go to the uni counselling service as I felt I couldn't talk to anyone I knew about it. Extremely lucky that the uni had its own mental health service. Probably took about 2 weeks to get an appointment then I got to regularly see a counsellor for half hour sessions every 2 weeks until I started to feel better. Really good experience all in all tbh and don't think I'd be the person I am today without it. 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I never really got in the system I was passed on by everyone because I wasn't "bad enough" to receive help from them, in the end I accessed a charity mental health service and my experience was great I loved them for the 3 years I had them. 

I can't fairly say how bad my experience was because of course i'd give it a minus 10 I mean they didn't help me at my lowest and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the charity 

But I know people who have accessed CAMHS and said it wasn't great or was pointless x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I've been in the system for over half my life now. All I can say is it's a love/hate thing. If you're lucky enough to get good people in the system it can really helps but there are a lot of shit people too. I've had some horrendous things said to me by professionals which has pushed me back even further, but it's just about finding someone you click with. I know adult services are more stricter than camhs with who they help which I feel is wrong but there's just not the funding to help everyone. I know waiting lists can take forever, thankfully I didn't have to wait to be seen due to current circumstances at the time.

I heard a quote a while ago ' the people you meet along the way make the journey worthwhile'  and it couldn't be more true, I've gained some amazing friends though the system and inpatient admissions, and it's friends who struggle too and sometimes they give better advice than the professionals cause they've been through it too. That's the main positive of the system. 

What else do you want to know?  :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2018
    When i read others expereinces with the mental health system i feel quite grateful for the help ive had/having. But maybe thats because morely like to read the stories of people being rejected ect then the good parts. But sometimes i do feel let down by services when im in crisis
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Ellen53Ellen53 Posts: 2 Newbie
    My experience has been a mix. I've been using mental health services for 9 years now and it all just feels a blur. 
    Stand out points include what I went through with CAMHS. When I first went (as a young teenager) one of the mental health professionals there just made me feel so anxious and upset and would make me cry in the family sessions I had. When I stopped going because of this, they discharged me and sent a horrible letter to my doctor stating that I had no motivation to change and was welcome back when I felt I could take on the help. 
    A few years later I was forced to go back to CAMHS but luckily I was put with a wonderful psychotherapist who I believe saved my life. She listened to me and helped me work through my issues. But she left after a year. 
    After that I saw a myriad of other mental health professionals but didn't find that any of them had a large impact. But at least because I was under 18 I could have help readily available for free. 

Since becoming an adult I can say that NHS waiting lists for mental health assistance are terrible. 8 weeks minimum before you get to see anyone literally feels like forever when you're in a position that you cant even picture yourself getting through the next day. I had to spend money I don't have on private counselling to get me through. 

The mental health systems needs improving and children need educating on the subject from a young age, in my opinion.
  • pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    I’ve not personally experienced the system myself (I see a private counsellor) but this was a useful thread for me, as I wanted to find out more about the system from people who have experienced it. I have not yet received a diagnosis, although my GP is deliberating over one (they think I may have depression) however my counsellor doesn’t believe that GPs can give a diagnosis (can they?)  so I’d need to go through CAMHS to get one. 

I do have a number of concerns though. 1) the waiting times are pretty long in my area so as I’m on the higher side of the age spectrum I’m worried I might turn 18 and still be waiting, then be at the bottom of an adult waiting list (I know this has happened to some people.) 2) I know people who are using CAMHS and say it’s awful (my counsellor also dislikes it, yes I know that’s confusing) and all they want to do is medicate and misdiagnose you, although I’m not going to base my decision on other people’s opinions. 3) I don’t know if what I would do in CAMHS would interfere with what I do with my counsellor (eg differing opinions,) even though my counsellor says it wouldn’t. 

I just think I a diagnosis would give me some peace of mind, as I sometimes just wish I could know what I have is or isn’t. 

Pumpkin
  • Candlestick56Candlestick56 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Thank you everyone so much for sharing your experiences! I only just got a chance to check in on this thread now and it's been really interesting to hear about people's different experiences :) I was mainly asking because I don't know that much about how it all works and wanted to be able to support those I know who've been through it better, so thank you!