Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Closed threads

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in Help Desk

Hiya,

Think ive suggested this somewhere awhile ago. - sorry. 

But i dont think i would like to re see my oldd posts

Isnt there a way you can automantly lock/close threads when they have not been active for a few weeks or months or something? So no one can comment on it. Ive been seeing more closed threads from people replying to old threads.  

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey Shaunie,

This is an interesting suggestion.

Particularly when it comes to support conversations, letting old threads lie is quite important, as bringing them back up can cause those old feelings to come back for the OP and it's often not a nice experience.

I don't believe there is a way for us to automatically close threads after a certain period of inactivity. If we did do this, we'd need to do it manually, which would take a lot of moderator time. It's also worth noting that bringing back an old thread can sometimes be a good/fun thing, so we probably wouldn't want a blanket rule or automated system applying to everything.

Our general feeling is that old threads tend not to be resurrected, and when they are, it's usually brought to a moderator's attention pretty quickly so we can get in there and close it.

We're always happy to close any thread on request from the OP as well, so if you would like us to close yours when you're done with them, give it a flag and we can do that. :)

How does that sound? Happy to hear any more thoughts on the subject, from you or anyone else who'd like to chip in!

Cheers,
    Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    Hey

Yeah that makes sense thank you

The Mix said:

Our general feeling is that old threads tend not to be resurrected, and when they are, it's usually brought to a moderator's attention pretty quickly so we can get in there and close it. 
    Yeah i mean. Closing it stops more comments going onto it. But by that time its already been brought back up. And i mean most times the original poster probably doesnt use the site anymore, so wouldnt matter that massively. But even if i wasnt an active member, the thought of it being brought back up, even if dont know, -and others reading- makes me feel lil uncomfortbale. Even tho know people can still find posts with search part

Idk. Im probably making nothing into something. Cause not that any of what i have wrote has been brought back up and guess unlikely will do. And i dont want to find my old posts that i never want to be brought up &  flag it up to be closed cause i dont want it to be brought up that much, that im not even willinging to skim through to find 

I dunno. Im sure it says it somewhere not to post in old threads  so yeah it doesnt really matter

Post edited by Siena on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited July 2018
    The Mix said:

. It's also worth noting that bringing back an old thread can sometimes be a good/fun thing, so we probably wouldn't want a blanket rule or automated system applying to everything.

Hey sorry to post again. I always thought that it was hardly ever okay to post on a old thread that not been active for awhile? Because was just scrolling through the style and apperence area and a lot is closed because someone brought it up from years ago. Yet theyre not support related topics so why would close that? Its only “rant thread” and thoses sort that seem to be okay to post on when the Oringinal poster posted years ago. But thats because its staying active. And hardly seen a thread that was okay to post from years ago & only thing i can think of is a thread that was called “how did you find this site” or whatnot. But anything else seems not to be okay. So can we post on threeads that are not for support ? Or? Im not sure what you mean by the above. 

Also why cant we delete posts ourself? Think id feel tiny bit more comfortable posting if deleting was an option. Realise many posts would be deleted if the case. But i cant imagine that many would be deleted
    Post edited by Siena on
    edited July 2018

No worries - we've taken a while to get back to that first post (apologies for that!).

When we're talking about support threads, we do have a fairly strict rule of not bringing them back up for the reasons mentioned previously. Essentially, we don't want to be bringing up difficult things from the past.

We're more flexible with non-support threads. There are two different cases, here:

1) Someone might bring up an old thread that is no longer relevant

For example, if someone asked about makeup recommendations four years ago. When this happens, we'll still close the thread because the OP has long since moved on and the thread will not be relevant. So the aim of this is trying to keep everything current.

2) Someone might bring up an old thread which can still be enjoyed and may still be useful

For example, the recent 'how did you find TheSite' thread. Although it was started a long time ago for probably a different reason, it's something that it still of interest. The same might apply to a thread where people started a game, or a discussion about a political situation that has changed over time.

Realise this wasn't very clear the first time - hopefully that helps?
    But even if i wasnt an active member, the thought of it being brought back up, even if dont know, -and others reading- makes me feel lil uncomfortbale. Even tho know people can still find posts with search part
    Also why cant we delete posts ourself? Think id feel tiny bit more comfortable posting if deleting was an option.
    With these two points, it's worth keeping in mind that you're posting on a public forum, where everything is designed/expected to stay public. We do delete posts on request (we can even delete all someone's posts if asked), but the way in which an online community generally works is that everything is kept historically so that other people can use that information later on. If that's not something you're keen on, it may be worth looking into other spaces which don't carry that permanence. :)

The reason only mods can delete threads and posts is so that we can keep track of what's said and what gets removed or edited. It's quite important that we have oversight of that and that it's not something that happens all the time. It also avoids posts being impulsively deleted in the heat of a moment, and then us being asked to restore them later.

Does that help? I realise that's a long explanation, but there's a lot to clarify there!

Mike :)
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    That makes compelete sense. Thank you for explaining
    Hey,

Sorry- just quickly wondering if deleting posts that are added onto the old post is an suggestion? So it goes back to where it was orginally. It just personally makes me feel uncomfortable. But thats just what i think so probs ignore.

But then i say that and when i search the internet when i think im like dying & quickly search my symptoms it comes up with forums and its normally a post that gets replies from like even years inbetween the replies and then the older posts are what are helpful aswell so i can see why some post on old posts (even if they see its old)as can be helpful for others with that situation now or something. But sometimes just doesnt need an late reply.  I dk
    Shaunie said:
    Hey,

Sorry- just quickly wondering if deleting posts that are added onto the old post is an suggestion? So it goes back to where it was orginally. It just personally makes me feel uncomfortable. But thats just what i think so probs ignore.

But then i say that and when i search the internet when i think im like dying & quickly search my symptoms it comes up with forums and its normally a post that gets replies from like even years inbetween the replies and then the older posts are what are helpful aswell so i can see why some post on old posts (even if they see its old)as can be helpful for others with that situation now or something. But sometimes just doesnt need an late reply.  I dk
    This is a really interesting question. Moderators do have the ability to 'sink' threads, meaning they no longer get bumped by new posts, but we haven't found a good way to use this tool yet.

While there's nothing to stop us doing what you suggested, a moderator will always go into a thread to say why they closed it, meaning it would be bumped regardless. We're also deliberately quite conservative when deleting posts, so when we have the option, we always prefer to leave something up rather than removing it.

If there's a particular thread you'd like to be 'sunk' or closed after a certain point (e.g. once you feel you've got everything you want from it), then you're more than welcome to flag it.

Does that help? I'm not sure if I answered your question - happy to hear any thoughts. :)

Mike

edited October 2018
    This makes sense thanks. 

Im guessing deleting our own posts on the boards wont be an option. I get why. But what about being able to close our own threads?

And also

The reason only mods can delete threads and posts is so that we can keep track of what's said and what gets removed or edited. It's quite important that we have oversight of that and that it's not something that happens all the time. It also avoids posts being impulsively deleted in the heat of a moment, and then us being asked to restore them later.
    We can delete posts on that activety wall part and guess cant keep track on that. And to be honest - Many times i have wrote total shit on there, complusively, to rant to no one and then deleted it on a few minutes after lol. Probably best to not do that ever? Ive never said anything against the guidelines and then deleted it — as know in an unlikely chance someone could see. Just been ranting lol. 

edited October 2018
    Im guessing deleting our own posts on the boards wont be an option. I get why. But what about being able to close our own threads?

This is an interesting idea @Shaunie, though is presents a couple of challenges...

From a technical point of view, this may not be possible. I don't think we can customise permissions that specifically, which is a little annoying. And as with any moderator action (close, delete, edit, etc.), we like to keep them available only to moderators so that we have control and oversight over any changes that happen.

And keeping in mind that they're generally used as a way to enforce our guidelines, we would want to avoid them being used for other reasons (e.g. closing a thread because the OP doesn't like what people are saying, or because someone the OP doesn't like decided to respond).

Ultimately, things generally get more complicated when we think about giving these permissions to anyone other than trained moderators, and it gives us a lot to consider. The way things currently are is the safest setup. :) 
    We can delete posts on that activety wall part and guess cant keep track on that. And to be honest - Many times i have wrote total shit on there, complusively, to rant to no one and then deleted it on a few minutes after lol. Probably best to not do that ever? Ive never said anything against the guidelines and then deleted it — as know in an unlikely chance someone could see. Just been ranting lol. 

This is an interesting point. We're actually investigating whether we can disable activity walls at the moment (or at least the ability to post messages), because it's a space we can't easily moderate. It also feels a little pointless to have this feature alongside PMs and the rest of the boards.

For now, feel free to use this space in whatever way you find useful. Assuming everything is within guidelines, it shouldn't be a problem. You're right - we can't keep track of it - though since it's a more private/profile type of space, that's less important for us. It's the group spaces where we need that oversight. :) 

Does that make sense? This was a bit long - apologies!

Mike & the team

Ok thanks that makes sense

hate to annoy you with trivial things, probably ignore me but my activeity wall part profil thing. Removes some stuff and seems like only allows a certain amount of post on the wall at a time? Is that right cause i was pretty sure i saw a profil and had loads. But seems to disappear i think. 
    Shaunie said:
    Ok thanks that makes sense

hate to annoy you with trivial things, probably ignore me but my activeity wall part profil thing. Removes some stuff and seems like only allows a certain amount of post on the wall at a time? Is that right cause i was pretty sure i saw a profil and had loads. But seems to disappear i think. 
    Nothing is too trivial. :)

Our understanding is that activity walls continue to build up indefinitely, though we can look into this if things are going missing. What kinds of things have you noticed disappearing? Has it happened more than once?

Mike & the team

edited November 2018
    Have no idea now lol cause i delete most of it myself but like somethings i know was there that i didnt delete cause i cant. Like the thing where change picture and that comes up. ( i know if you remove your avatar first and then change it- then it doesnt come up on the wall) but i changed it when i already had a picture and came up on wall but then things seemed to of disapeared as it went further down the screen. Defintely more than once. 

But yeah sorry. Its not that important so doesnt matter. Am sure you have enough bigger things to sort out than the stuff i mention. :) So sorry 

Edit - i just went onto the activity wall and keep pressing ‘next’ to see where it would finish (kinda sad ik.) but anyway it stops at 7 th of september so guess that answers that. Sorry
    Shaunie said:
    Have no idea now lol cause i delete most of it myself but like somethings i know was there that i didnt delete cause i cant. Like the thing where change picture and that comes up. ( i know if you remove your avatar first and then change it- then it doesnt come up on the wall) but i changed it when i already had a picture and came up on wall but then things seemed to of disapeared as it went further down the screen. Defintely more than once. 

But yeah sorry. Its not that important so doesnt matter. Am sure you have enough bigger things to sort out than the stuff i mention. :) So sorry 

Edit - i just went onto the activity wall and keep pressing ‘next’ to see where it would finish (kinda sad ik.) but anyway it stops at 7 th of september so guess that answers that. Sorry
    No problem too small, @Shaunie. :)  Glad you found out what was happening - these things aren't always obvious!

Mike & the team