Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Irregular periods & back pain

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited July 2018 in Health & Wellbeing
My periods have been irregular since i can remember. im 19 so maybe still normal. But my back has been hurting for awhile. And its literally the same period pain i get when on my period but just bit less pain. That has carried on hurting since my last period. And when do get periods it hurts so much to the point i have thrown up from the pain & its also v heavy periods.   

Want to go to my doctors but they will tell me i am underweight and just need to eat more and tell me i have anorexia. There is Nothing wrong with my eating. im pretty sure my hormones are a mess, for others reason aswell. And near enough every female in family have pcos. 

What would i ask or say at doctors? Is t something to go to doctors about? Has anyone else gone for similar reasons?I have little knowelge on most of this and like birth control stuff. But just know the pill can balance out hornones or something? Would just saying i have horrible pain while on my periods be enough for them to presicbe it? Atm they wont give me any pills cause i tend to overdose. But like surely theyd still prescibe it. ?
i have searched stuff on the internet but still stressed and confused
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Having terrible period pain is awful, have you let your doctor know that the pain has made you throw up? Letting them know about your families history of pcos could also be helpful, write down a list of things you want to tell them so you don't forget. 

You can get the pill without any reason, just ask for it. The doctors will ask you some questions about your life, and these can be embarrassing but the questions are just standard ones they have to ask everyone. Things like, are you sexually active or do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

If you are told that because of past experiences with overdose they are not sure about giving you the pill then you can always ask about implants. One of which goes in your arm. 

Other than that there are a few ways to help with pain, like hot water bottles, wrapping yourself in blankets like a warm cocoon and drinking something warm and caffeinated. Of course, if your pain is bad these points might not help much. I really hope you can find a way though this, don't hesitate to ask any more questions, you could even join one of the Mix's women only chats (if you identify as female) to ask about what others have done. 

Take care of yourself :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    P.s- these two pages might help :) 
    All contraceptives will effect your periods in one way or another, so you have quite a lot of options to choose from :) 
    http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/safer-sex/finding-the-right-contraceptive-pill-4565.html

http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/safer-sex/contraceptive-implant-4568.html 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    Thank you v much @Eyepatch
    really helpful. Kinda feel stupid now though loll.

Think will try to make appiontment tomorrow. And theyre normally the day i ring.  So will reply back here- if i do go to my gp. But it means ringing up and that in its self puts me off. Hate seeing my gp so much so think i will skip about saying irregular periods and the pain and will just try to ask for the pill or something
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I just told then I had painful periods and then prescribed the pill for me no worries!  

You can just ask to go on it no extra info but do be prepared for the contraceptive talk on how to use it x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    @Shaunie Please don't feel stupid, everyone worries about things like what you're going though. Plus, you are very brave posting it here. I hope everything goes well :)  
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Hey shaunie 

i went to to my doctor because I was having irregular periods and suggested a blood test which my go agreed to. It turns out I have pcos. I would suggest speaking to them about this 

xxx
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Heya Shaunie,

I also had irregular, painful and heavy periods before I went on the pill and it’s helped massively with all 3 of these problems. So may be worth going to your doctor (if you haven’t already) to ask about it.

When I went to the doctors to go on the pill recently they just asked me a few questions about smoking, sex, family history etc. So not too bad at all :) 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”